Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Musicians, how on earth are these chord progressions done?

Re: Musicians, how on earth are these chord progressions done?

You can't really absorb music theory and it be instinctive without learning to play an instrument. Your brain 'muscle memory' never evolves without learning how to play. Doesn't matter how much you read, it'll never really sink in.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    You can't really absorb music theory and it be instinctive without learning to play an instrument. Your brain 'muscle memory' never evolves without learning how to play. Doesn't matter how much you read, it'll never really sink in.
    The piano roll is an instrument though

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post

The piano roll is an instrument though

I was wait for that lmfao! Gave me a good chuckle Joe.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

To be honest, even if you just played scales for 30 minutes a day you'd get a long way there. One handed, each hand. Progress to two hands, one octave then two octaves. Do that for major, minor and then on to the variations. If you did that for a year your 'ear' would be massively improved.

To be honest, even if you just played scales for 30 minutes a day you'd get a long way there. One handed, each hand. Progress to two hands, one octave then two octaves. Do that for major, minor and then on to the variations. If you did that for a year your 'ear' would be massively improved.
    I can play scales on a piano, and arpeggios. Took me ages to learn and get used to correct finger placement. I've got a good book that's highly recommended on amazon for adult learners and I used to do them daily.

But since I got rid of my longer keyboard, and only have the novation, it's quite difficult to get creative. This was me improvising ages ago (before I learned finger placement for LH and RH). I looked a lot younger here:

I miss a full length keyboard for this reason.

☪️️

Joe I need some advice.

I'm using Windows, and a Alesis IO2 soundcard. It does the trick for now, but there's a constant background hum/noise when recording even when nothing is plugged into the soundcard inputs.

I've read somewhere it's a possible ground loop and caused by plugging speakers into same outlet as PC, and hardware. Is this true? Trying to find an extension lead in the house to test it.

I need to solve this before I can hook up the preamp.

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Joe I need some advice.

I'm using Windows, and a Alesis IO2 soundcard. It does the trick for now, but there's a constant background hum/noise when recording even when nothing is plugged into the soundcard inputs.

I've read somewhere it's a possible ground loop and caused by plugging speakers into same outlet as PC, and hardware. Is this true? Trying to find an extension lead in the house to test it.

I need to solve this before I can hook up the preamp.
    This can be numerous things, including just having a plain old cheap sound card. Your gain staging might not be right (any recorded analogue signal path will have some inherent noise (called the noise floor)). If the noise is there with nothing plugged in, what exactly are you recording? From where?

Keyboard skills are not bad at all. There is much value to be had from using both hands because it starts the deeper process of interval training. It's the way that you are telling your hands what to do vs what you're hearing.

If the noise is there with nothing plugged in, what exactly are you recording? From where?
    I don't know. It's either from faulty sound card, Windows ASIO, or some sort of ground loop.

Keyboard skills are not bad at all. There is much value to be had from using both hands because it starts the deeper process of interval training. It's the way that you are telling your hands what to do vs what you're hearing.
    Yes with the left hand playing bass, and adding in chords, things start to sound amazing. I'm not at that stage to improvise like that, but my next investment is a weighted full size. I had the Acuna, that thing was amazing!
    Last edited by WiredIncorrectly; 15-02-21 at 19:09.

☪️️

What I mean is, if nothing was connected to the soundcard inputs, what were you recording that had noise on it? Or is it just a background noise that's there all the time? Does the noise disappear if you disconnect the iO2?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information