Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Musicians, how on earth are these chord progressions done?

Re: Musicians, how on earth are these chord progressions done?

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    What I mean is, if nothing was connected to the soundcard inputs, what were you recording that had noise on it? Or is it just a background noise that's there all the time? Does the noise disappear if you disconnect the iO2?
    Oh my bad. I just have the soundcard plugged in and recording a mono channel (channel 1) from the soundcard. There is nothing attached to the soundcard except it's USB wire being plugged into the PC machine so I'm recording nothingness. I'm doing it to see if the hum was coming from the mic, or preamp to rule those out. I tried both channels, and the hum persists.

Basically debugging to see what the cause could be.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Attachment 5301

It didn't work out of the box. The OS was froze. Had to do a firmware update. Going to have dinner and spend the night tucked up under a warm blanket and some samples.

It's open source too, you get access to all the source code. Can hack away at it until your hearts content implementing useful features: https://github.com/polyend/TrackerIssues/releases

That's why I love this.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Does the hum increase or decrease in volume if you increase or decrease the input gain on each channel?

Stays the same.

I think it's the soundcard. I moved the pots around and it stopped. I plugged the mic in, and it started. I'll take it apart, give it a clean.

☪️️

You might find that once the DBX is plugged in the noise reduces a bit as the DBX will provide you with much cleaner gain, and the pre's in the iO2 can be turned down a fair bit.

Ultimately though, this is the reason I mentioned maybe spending money on a really good core, modern interface before anything else. The iO2 is just a very old, entry level interface.

You might find that once the DBX is plugged in the noise reduces a bit as the DBX will provide you with much cleaner gain, and the pre's in the iO2 can be turned down a fair bit.

Ultimately though, this is the reason I mentioned maybe spending money on a really good core, modern interface before anything else. The iO2 is just a very old, entry level interface.
    I go through soundcards. I've got a dead Scarlett. I do have an 8in/8out rack USB soundcard but I gave it my brother as I had no need for it. I do now but it's overkill. I got it when I had money to waste. I've got patchbays and an Emu Mophat over there too. Old school ha ha.

I'll pick up another soundcard if I can't wiggle any more life out of this one.

☪️️

Wait, both the model samples and the polytracker can act as soundcards I forgot the model samples does that. If I'm desperate I could duct tape something together.

☪️️

Emu, Scarlett, iO2.....all shite tbh.

Send the Polyend Tracker back and get an RME. Trust me, you'll thank me later

Emu, Scarlett, iO2.....all shite tbh.

Send the Polyend Tracker back and get an RME. Trust me, you'll thank me later
    The Emu is a relic and is the first piece of hardware I ever owned. I don't ever sell it because it holds memories from a time when music became exciting to me. It still works but the display needs to be replaced, very dull.
    Hell no, this Polyend tracker is the dogs dangly bits. I know it seems odd to you, I'm a geek who writes music to hexadecimal notation

I've sourced a small scarlett from my brother to borrow until I can upgrade to a better interface. I'm just hoping this hum is the soundcard issue otherwise back to square one. I probably did it a bit backwards because I was impatient for the tracker. I'll get there in the end he he.

But yes, my eyes are on the RME. £320 on GAK.

☪️️

Joe, does an MPC count as an instrument. I think this guy defined it as one

☪️️

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information