Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: This is a new one. Bat under toilet seat?

Re: This is a new one. Bat under toilet seat?

You have every right to be worried. Your anxiety disorder is miles out of hand and you're at right angles to reality right now.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    You have every right to be worried. Your anxiety disorder is miles out of hand and you're at right angles to reality right now.
    Difficult to reconcile this as anxiety when I have no explanation for the "bite" I felt :( I'm just having a seriously bad morning. Hoping it improves and I calm down later today.

Had a long talk with therapist to evaluate what was going on. Starting therapy for OCD in the next couple of weeks. Apart from the phobias of contracting deadly diseases from animals or food, it doesn't seem to be health anxiety. They went through everything with me, and managed to pull the right info out of my intensely detailed monologues. Being as detailed as possible is part of my job, so it's a force of habit. They told me it was great as there was lots to work with.

The actual medical symptoms I've experienced in the past have almost always lead to a diagnosis of something actually going on (liver damage, heart, hypermobility, and ovarian issues- all of which I felt genuine symptoms of, and all of which did indeed have something that needed to be addressed medically). Obviously this excludes the ones that start with a thought and then create sensations, but they "feel" extremely different. It's reassuring that I can reliably tell the difference between actual symptoms that need attention and ones that I know are a really far reach but still feel the impulse to worry about.

I still feel it's important never to cap everything off as anxiety as that's just the other end of extreme thinking. If you feel something and it lasts a long time or gets worse, see a doctor. It's usually something simple, and if it's not, it's usually something that can be addressed.

We ran through a lot of my fears and what I fixate on. They seem to come from fear of food contamination or diseased animal attacks. Ironically, I love animals, and I love cooking, so my OCD compulsions stem from passions and interests. Not sure why as of yet, as it seems more common for phobias to come from an established fear or incident. For me it's from things I genuinely love.

The questions they asked actually revealed I do have a lot of physical compulsions along with intrusive thoughts. I check things a lot, I have a "system" in the kitchen where I throw any item out that I feel has been contaminated. I realised that I woke up early every morning to make breakfast for my boyfriend in case he accidentally poisons himself by using something I didn't wash correctly. All of which I can see as completely illogical, yet impossible to ignore.

Feeling a little bit better about "batgate".

Just revisiting this thread as I had a massive trigger today. I was browsing a thread from an artist I follow, and there was a joke about scary animals being more afraid of us etc. Out of nowhere, somebody posts a photo of a bat that they had found in their toilet. Exactly my fear. Lots and lots of people decided to share their toilet bat experiences. They go looking for water if trapped and often this ends up being your toilet or sink. One person even explained how a bat had crawled through their extractor fan and fallen onto their toilet lid.

Now, I know my scary moment happened months and months ago, so I likely wasn't bitten by anything, but its set off the compulsion to check under the toilet seat and in the extractor fan whenever I'm in the bathroom. Even if I'm just washing my hands. I really don't want to end up doing the compulsive checking again, but that thread seriously made the threat more real in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by WorryRaptor View Post
    One person even explained how a bat had crawled through their extractor fan and fallen onto their toilet lid.
    My sympathy is with the bat. Imagine if the poor bugger had fallen through the extractor fan and head first into an unflushed turd?

Was the poor mite concussed?

I get that you have this 'bat fear' Raptor but it sounds like this wasn't much of a party for the poor bat either!

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    My sympathy is with the bat. Imagine if the poor bugger had fallen through the extractor fan and head first into an unflushed turd?

Was the poor mite concussed?

I get that you have this 'bat fear' Raptor but it sounds like this wasn't much of a party for the poor bat either!
    I can't imagine the poor little creature met the most dignified of ends!

Some were rescued and released successfully, others may have ridden the "log flume" into the sewage system.

The bat fear is 100% an OCD phobia, so I'm trying my best not to give in to compulsive checking. This morning I was sorting through a pile of craft supplies (there are a lot), and something tickled across my foot. I was so convinced it was a bat which had somehow hidden itself under the sofa before I could investigate. I'm still scared it might have been. It's a rather exhausting phobia.

Thought I'd look back on this thread and update it with something positive.

The phobia still lurks in the back of my mind, but I'm actively telling it to f*ck off every time it raises its head. I still have blips here and there, but I'm in no way close to the person I was a year ago on this thread.

It might seem small to people reading this, but last night, I decided to leave the bedroom window open while we slept. All night. Wide open for ninja bats to fly in and out to their hearts content. Completely out of my control. I felt the familiar flare of anxiety as I climbed into bed, but I ignored it and went to sleep. What a wonderful sleep it was with a lovely cool breeze drifting through the room, and fresh air rather than a stuffy warm assault on the nostrils. (Excluding the customary fart my fiancé loves to greet me with in the mornings. It's his love language)

I wanted to thank everybody who replied on this thread too. While I probably didn't seem like I appreciated it at the time, I really did. And thank you Rumpo for pointing me toward an OCD diagnosis. It truly was life changing.

Looking back at what I wrote is like reading words from a stranger, and I hope it stays that way!

maybe I'm being stupid but what about a spider ?? or a flea ?? something like that, i ahve to admit i thought this was alittle bit of a joke but could be a small bug maybe

a life lived in fear is a life half lived

Quote Originally Posted by WorryRaptor View Post

It might seem small to people reading this, but last night, I decided to leave the bedroom window open while we slept. All night. Wide open for ninja bats to fly in and out to their hearts content. Completely out of my control. I felt the familiar flare of anxiety as I climbed into bed, but I ignored it and went to sleep. What a wonderful sleep it was with a lovely cool breeze drifting through the room, and fresh air rather than a stuffy warm assault on the nostrils. (Excluding the customary fart my fiancé loves to greet me with in the mornings. It's his love language)
    I don't think it's small thing at all, Raptor. On the contrary, it's a huge step in overcoming your fear and it's really made me happy to read this today! For this, you get a gold star!

Looking back at what I wrote is like reading words from a stranger, and I hope it stays that way!
    Having OCD (I have OCD too) makes these things a lot harder to deal with, for sure. But you've proved to yourself that you can overcome your irrational fears, and look what happened when you did? You got an awesome night's sleep! (Aside your fiancés early morning bum-trumps)

Mr Batty's trumps are not confined to the early mornings. His 'love language' is a fart that sounds like machine gun fire and I don't know whether to open a window or hold my hands up!

The other day, I got into his car, and it smelt like something had died in there. (He told me about a little mishap he'd had with a latte in the Drive-Thru) so it was already smelling funky in there when he let rip an enormous fart, which he alleged wouldn't smell (It overpowered the stench of sour milk and then some)

Dude's a skank and I'm far too posh for that shit!

I don't think it's small thing at all, Raptor. On the contrary, it's a huge step in overcoming your fear and it's really made me happy to read this today! For this, you get a gold star!
    Thank you so much! I've now slept a few nights in a row with the window open. Even woke up with a mystery scratch on my arm. That would usually send me into a tailspin of checking every corner of the house, crying, more checking, and then trying to get my affairs in order before I left this world. This time I (mostly) calmly concluded it was a scratch from my own broken fingernail and went on with my day.

The other day, I got into his car, and it smelt like something had died in there. (He told me about a little mishap he'd had with a latte in the Drive-Thru) so it was already smelling funky in there when he let rip an enormous fart, which he alleged wouldn't smell (It overpowered the stench of sour milk and then some)
    Future Mr Raptor likes to stealth fart as he walks past me then runs away cackling, leaving me in the fallout. How the man has such a different range of toots which he can summon at will is horrifying. Skank is the right word!
    Last edited by WorryRaptor; 04-09-22 at 00:25.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information