Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Dark Side Of Spotify

Re: The Dark Side Of Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    I agree AJoe, that the digital aspects of the business are vastly different from the actual performing aspects. For me, it was more about performance (gigs) and merch. Prior to COVID, I was actually considering going back full time into gigging. The prevalence of locally smaller venues could keep me pretty busy and I wouldn't have to be on the road much if at all. But... the positives of a day job with benefits, security etc. outweighed me making that move at this point in my life. I do have musical friends that are/were doing it though, and if push came to shove, I could still pay the bills.

Positive thoughts
    Yeah I did the gigging thing years ago (30 years....Gawd....) and it wasn't for me. I enjoy the creative studio process and actually making music. Heaving gear to a gig in Central London wasn't really interesting to me at all. Plus, I had a DX7 fall out the back of a car on the way home one night too...

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Either of you folks had any experience with Taxi.com?
    I use Uber pal......

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    I use Uber pal......
    That was a Dad joke

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Yeah I did the gigging thing years ago (30 years....Gawd....) and it wasn't for me. I enjoy the creative studio process and actually making music. Heaving gear to a gig in Central London wasn't really interesting to me at all. Plus, I had a DX7 fall out the back of a car on the way home one night too...
    It's just me and my guitar. I have a Bose system that weighs around 30 pounds, sets up in minutes, a couple of pedals a light bar and that's it. The mix is set, it's just a matter of set up, set the volume and go. I can show up 30 minutes prior and be ready to go in 15 minutes. Tear down is equally as easy and fast. For me, it's about interacting with the audience, making a connection which in turn sells product. It's also a great mental and emotional release. It's a great feeling coming home from a good gig and a different but good kind of tired if you know what I mean. I do miss performing for sure. Realistically, I don't see it happening this year but by Spring of next year, I think we'll be back to a 'new normal'.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

It's different being a keyboard player lol. It's ALL setup, NO crowd interaction lol.

But yeah, good tired. I get that.

To be honest I was never particularly skilled enough to perform more than I did anyway. I was fine playing my grades etc, but I never really got into the performance side of it. I love creating in the studio and my knowledge there is vast. I do have a guitar sitting here that I've been threatening to learn for years.

Another thing lost with LPs is all the great album art. A CD just ain't the same. For me an unscratched LP still has the best sound quality. I'm currently moving much of my vinyl onto digital especially the stuff that just isn't available on mp3/mwa.

Quote Originally Posted by Noivous View Post
    Another thing lost with LPs is all the great album art. A CD just ain't the same. For me an unscratched LP still has the best sound quality. I'm currently moving much of my vinyl onto digital especially the stuff that just isn't available on mp3/mwa.
    I remember (and regret) buying lots of vinyl to cover a wall in my studio with album artwork. It looked good, but the poor vinyls were thrown like saucers.

There's a lot of stuff that only exists on vinyl that hasn't even found its way online.

I know lots of places to get .FLAC vinyl rips for free. DM me if you want the links.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

I do have a guitar sitting here that I've been threatening to learn for years.
    I got an acoustic and a bass guitar. Neither have been used for longer than 20 minutes since I got them years ago. I've been meaning to learn myself. I wanted to learn so I can get a midi guitar and do some cool chord slides.

Last night I dug out my RaspberryPi. I've put CSound on it and hooked up the output to soundcards input (I could process via the dbx here too, but it's all pre-set for my vocals so not touching that). Currently generating simple 808's but by the end of today I hope to have it pumping out some thick 808 bass. Turned a tiny computer into a musical instrument

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    I remember (and regret) buying lots of vinyl to cover a wall in my studio with album artwork. It looked good, but the poor vinyls were thrown like saucers.

There's a lot of stuff that only exists on vinyl that hasn't even found its way online.

I know lots of places to get .FLAC vinyl rips for free. DM me if you want the links.
    Whoa! Thank you Wired! Yes, I will do that first chance.👍

BTW since we're on the subject here's a great clip of legendary drummer Steve Gadd and his band showing how it's done. What a lineup. Stevie Wonder's Signed Sealed Delivered:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X1QkTRsAm6o

Quote Originally Posted by Noivous View Post
    BTW since we're on the subject here's a great clip of legendary drummer Steve Gadd and his band showing how it's done. What a lineup. Stevie Wonder's Signed Sealed Delivered:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X1QkTRsAm6o
    I love it when I see black and white performing on stage. Music brings everybody together. Great drummer!

☪️️

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information