Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Dark Side Of Spotify

Re: The Dark Side Of Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    There's two sides to the coin imo.

For some artists streaming works well. The case in point that you made there Joe is valid. But for most artists it doesn't work that way. The amount you get for a million plays on Spotify is continuing to get smaller as the platform becomes more saturated. They have the cheek to make you pay for your own plaque when you hit 1,000,000 plays which I think is around £150.

The cost of marketing to get to a million plays makes the whole endeavor pointless because you'll pay more in marketing than you earn from the million.

The music business has always worked this way sadly.

I used to know Holly Johnson (Frankie Goes to Hollywood) and also his old manager (Tony Pope). One of the best selling bands of the 80s, they made millions. HJ came out of it with almost nothing.

I'm also working with a guy now who just before Christmas had written 6 out of the top 10 tracks on Beatport (all genre chart) and is all over Radio 1. He is making money from Spotify, quite a lot.

It has always been the case, and always WILL be the case that 99% of bands/artists never make any money.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    It has always been the case, and always WILL be the case that 99% of bands/artists never make any money.
    This is true.

I'm also working with a guy now who just before Christmas had written 6 out of the top 10 tracks on Beatport (all genre chart) and is all over Radio 1. He is making money from Spotify, quite a lot.
    I know Chris Lorenzo, he does very well but he's been grinding on music for many years.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

I know Chris Lorenzo, he does very well but he's been grinding on music for many years.
    So have 99% of all the other people making a living out of the music business.

I laugh at those people who claim it's a fad. It's not. It's here to stay and you only have to Google to see that vinyl is still being printed and sold today.

I lived through the vinyl days in my youth. I was a DJ and back then there was no such thing as CD decks. It was an artform, and a skill, to be able to mix two vinyl. You had many factors to deal with one of them being natural tempo sway. Technics avoided this problem with quartz, but I had belt drive decks back then. On belt drives you had to constantly manage both tracks to keep them in sync.

Then CDJ's became the thing in all clubs and the bedroom music producers were able to print their remixes and tracks to CD for DJ's to play. But there is no art in mixing CD. CD decks have BPM counters, auto timing features etc. There's no skill in that. It spawned a whole birth of new DJ's, all were hated by us vinyl warriors because they'd basically pee'ed all over the music scene with their MP3's.

The people who say it's a fad are those that don't know the industry still exists. I'm very passionate about vinyl too
    Back in 2014, when the vinyl revival was really starting to gather pace, I remember saying to the girl behind the counter in our local HMV store 'why haven't you started selling vinyl again', and she replied 'cause there will never be enough demand for it, at least not locally, and streaming is the future', plus she admitted that she wasn't even aware of the vinyl revival at the time.

Soon after, our HMV store closed down, so just demonstrates how naive they were and that they were caught napping over the vinyl revival at the time!

I've heard that virtually all remaining HMV stores now actually have far more vinyl albums on their shop floors than CD albums. Hurrah!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post

I've heard that virtually all remaining HMV stores now actually have far more vinyl albums on their shop floors than CD albums. Hurrah!!
    Not near me it's not. About 10% vinyl, the rest is still CD, movies, games, t-shirts, shite audio equipment and 'guff'.

Not near me it's not. About 10% vinyl, the rest is still CD, movies, games, t-shirts, shite audio equipment and 'guff'.
    Good god, are they still stuck in a 90s-2000s timewarp or something?

So have 99% of all the other people making a living out of the music business.
    It depends. As I said previously, 1% make the big bucks and 99% don't. That's not to say you can't make a good living in the business. The music business is first and foremost a business. How you run your business dictates how successful you'll be. From bookkeeping to marketing to performance to packaging etc. all play a part. Just like a large company produces a product, manufactures it, markets it, sells it etc., the same applies to the music business. The difference is the product is you and your abilities. I made a pretty decent living playing full time and I had, until COVID, a very lucrative part time business. It's hard work but it certainly can be done. I have many musical brothers and sisters who do the same.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    It depends. As I said previously, 1% make the big bucks and 99% don't. That's not to say you can't make a good living in the business. The music business is first and foremost a business. How you run your business dictates how successful you'll be. From bookkeeping to marketing to performance to packaging etc. all play a part. Just like a large company produces a product, manufactures it, markets it, sells it etc., the same applies to the music business. The difference is the product is you and your abilities. I made a pretty decent living playing full time and I had, until COVID, a very lucrative part time business. It's hard work but it certainly can be done. I have many musical brothers and sisters who do the same.

Positive thoughts
    My point to James was that 99% of people who make a good living out of music have been grafting for years.

But, same here. I make a living indirectly out of the music business. I have had tracks released, but they never made any money. I'm good enough at what I do though that people repeatedly pay me to make online video content. I'm also good enough to make music for film/TV, but that is massively cutthroat and deadline driven and that's not how I choose to live my life. It's not a road to riches either, except for that good old 1%.

My pro rata day rate is huge, but as you probably understand that's only a small slice of the reality of doing this for a living. It's bloody hard work and I spent nearly a decade building up the skills, tools and contacts to be able to do it. I get people asking me every week if they can get me an 'in' with my main client, but my main client isn't interested. They know that if they give me a brief for 60 minutes of video (this is regular) they can leave it with me and within a few weeks it'll be uploaded, edited and ready to go.

I agree AJoe, that the digital aspects of the business are vastly different from the actual performing aspects. For me, it was more about performance (gigs) and merch. Prior to COVID, I was actually considering going back full time into gigging. The prevalence of locally smaller venues could keep me pretty busy and I wouldn't have to be on the road much if at all. But... the positives of a day job with benefits, security etc. outweighed me making that move at this point in my life. I do have musical friends that are/were doing it though, and if push came to shove, I could still pay the bills.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Either of you folks had any experience with Taxi.com?

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information