Thread: Very afraid my son has tested positve for covid and I was with him just before

Very afraid my son has tested positve for covid and I was with him just before

I am spending this week in terrible fear. Last Wednesday afternoon my son, who is in my bubble, took me to have my first covid jab. All went well, then on Friday he informs me he started to feel very ill on the Wednesday night and had now tested positive for covid. I've been in terror ever since. Track and trace contacted me and told me to self isolate for ten days. Not a problem in itself I have not been going out. I am an older lady and vunerable to the virus and am so, so worried. I have no symptoms as yet, but there's a way to go, I am on day 6 of the isolation. The senario is this: He came in the house when he arrived to pick me up, and sat down. I was going about putting my coat on etc. I'm not sure how close I was. Before I went out to the car I put my mask on and sat in the back seat. Of course we wore masks at the vaccination centre. He didn't come in the house when we got back.

I keep hoping the mask did protect me a little bit, I have been reading up on it and there are so many differing views. I thought I was doing the right thing by going for the jab but now I almost wish I hadn't as I would not have been with my son and not be in this danger.

Does anyone have any thoughts whether there is any hope I may not be affected. I am struggling so much with the fear.

Re: Very afraid my son has tested positve for covid and I was with him just before

Hello, I'm sorry to hear this has happened. It's a good sign that you're on day 6 already, 4 days to go.

My friend was recently working indoors with someone all day, both masked, and her colleague tested positive and my friend isolated and tested at the end and was negative, so it definitely offers some protection. It sounds like you took lots of precautions too.

I know you are older and this must seem super scary, but most people of all ages do recover from this virus. I do however think its unlikely you've caught it as it has been a while since you saw your son now and you took ltos of precautions. Theres a high chance you'll be fine.

Keep us updated, all the best.

Re: Very afraid my son has tested positve for covid and I was with him just before

The incubation period of the virus, meaning the time you can be infected without showing symptoms, can be up to 14 days. However, the vast vast majority of people start displaying symptoms in the first 5 days after exposure.

You had very little contact, distanced when required and wore a face covering. Given all of that, plus the fact you’re not showing any symptoms after 6 days, you should feel reassured that there’s almost zero possibility of you having caught this virus.

Just try to relax until your isolation period is over, then you can live with the further reassurance of having been vaccinated.

It's obviously a very uncertain and worrying time for you but it's been a good few days now since you saw your son so every day is a day nearer to reassurance and relief from the Covid threat.

I'm older too and haven't been jabbed yet but am not too concerned about my age being a factor in terms of how ill I would get. I think the fact that you haven't been going out at all prior to your jab appointment will have heightened your fears about Covid. I'm a carer and have been to the supermarket most days since March and believe that my mask has protected me along with all the other advised precautions.

How is your son now and how are you today?

Update: I am now on day 8 of self isolation. I feel ok at the moment. I was a bit scared yesterday as I kept feeling hot but I took my temperature and it was normal.Two days to go. Trying to keep calm as its still possible to get symptoms but I hope it is a lot less than it was.

My son sent me a message today to say he is still feeling really ill with temp. He can't move without coughing and is exhausted. He's lost his sense of smell but has no breathing problems which is good. His doc says he just has to ride it out. I am worried about him of course and he has health anxiety also, I do feel sorry for him. It is a horrible illness. He is almost 52 so not old but not young either.

Thank you all for your replies, it has helped me to calm down somewhat.

Mother's worry is horrid isn't it?
    I was much more worried about my son's symptoms than mine.
    Every day that passes is one day closer to his healing and tje end of your isolation.

Hang in there:-)

Hi chinadoll19.

Sorry to hear about your situation, but please try not to worry.

Both my Mum and myself had Covid in December last year. Me first, then my Mum. I felt dreadful for the first few days, but I had no cough, shortness of breath and a temperature for only half a day. The rest of the time I was sick I just felt so exhausted and fatigued. I was expecting far worse as I am asthmatic, but after about a week or two I felt more or less well again.

This is where I am hoping to reassure you: My Mum is 79 years old.....80 in June. She is a CHRONIC asthmatic, has high blood pressure, had borderline COPD at one point and takes a lot of medications for her breathing issues and allergies, but she still got through Coronavirus. Like me, she had no respiratory symptoms at all - just sheer exhaustion, so much so she was bed ridden for weeks. She is now just fine and has also had her first jab a few weeks ago.

The fact you have had your first jab is a definite plus point too. It is a step to reinforcing your immune system and you have had a week's worth of antibody build up already, which will start offering protection. The antibodies will continue to build for another two weeks or so too, so it definitely IS a good thing that you went for your jab, despite your worry now!

As said already, most people who have contracted Coronavirus have experienced mild illness, albeit unpleasant. Please do try to bear this in mind.

I hope this helps reassure you,

Take care x

Quote Originally Posted by chinadoll19 View Post
    Update: I am now on day 8 of self isolation. I feel ok at the moment. I was a bit scared yesterday as I kept feeling hot but I took my temperature and it was normal.Two days to go. Trying to keep calm as its still possible to get symptoms but I hope it is a lot less than it was.

My son sent me a message today to say he is still feeling really ill with temp. He can't move without coughing and is exhausted. He's lost his sense of smell but has no breathing problems which is good. His doc says he just has to ride it out. I am worried about him of course and he has health anxiety also, I do feel sorry for him. It is a horrible illness. He is almost 52 so not old but not young either.

Thank you all for your replies, it has helped me to calm down somewhat.
    Hello, you must be out of isolation now? How are you today? Sounds like you're all good!

Sorry to hear about your son though. His symptoms sound very similar to my boyfriends. He was also bedridden, awful cough which was sometimes very productive, high fever up to 40, and was short of breath whenever he moved. I was SO worried about him, but after two weeks or so of that he started to improve, was up for doing short walks about a week after that. We caught it end of December and are back to normal activities now, including able to walk a hilly 15km.

The doctor told him the same thing as your sons doctor, it was just the virus working it's way out. I'm sure your son will be ok, hopefully that story helped with a rough timeline and gave you some reassurance.

Thread Information