Thread: Mouth Cancer Worries - So Many Ulcers

Mouth Cancer Worries - So Many Ulcers

I have been unwell since September 2017 with various, mainly gastro related symptoms. I've also been very prone to mouth ulcers. Even when I was a teenager (I'm 37 now).

Over the last six months or so I would hardly go a week without getting a new mouth ulcer. And then it got to the stage where I'd get a new one just as the other was almost gone. However around one and a half months ago I had an ulcer that I still have now.

These aren't the typical biggish ulcers. They tend to be fairly small. However, I know that any ulcer that doesn't heal within two weeks or so is cause for concern.

My GP has done a calprotectin test in case of IBD, and taken swabs for any bacteria or viral infection which was negative.

I read on NHS that only 12.5% of mouth cancer is in under 40s, and that most of those are due to smoking or drinking (I don't do either) but even so I know that doesn't mean it's not that.

I've suggested a biopsy but my GP doesn't want to. It keeps getting put down to stress but I've been a lot more stressed for longer periods over the last several years and never had them not heal within 5 to 7 days, let alone over a month.

I'm really worried.

Re: Mouth Cancer Worries - So Many Ulcers

My husband had a breakout of about 17 ulcers all through his mouth and throat last year. He went to the doctor and they just gave him a prescription for some mouth wash and it went away in a few days. Try not to worry

Thank you. I'm going to try and get a dentist to have a look as well as my GP. But would be nice if something like that worked for me!

You can ask your GP about the mouth wash. It's called magic mouthwash. It's something they can make for you at the pharmacy. At least here in the states I don't know if anything is different over there.

Thread Information