Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid Variants

Covid Variants

I've noticed over the past fortnight or so that the UK national headlines in general haven't been making such a big deal over newly confirmed cases of the SA variant, unlike in late January and very early Feb, where the media would elaborate a lot more on specific locations where said cases were confirmed. My area (Tamworth, Staffs) had a confirmed case of the SA variant announced yesterday morning, but the national headlines have so far kept it low-key, whereas had it been a fortnight or more ago, there would have no doubt been endless wall-to-wall coverage of it.

The media also no longer seem to be making a song and dancing over the other newer variants that have been discovered since December, such as the one in Bristol a couple of weeks ago. There was also talk of another mystery variant that randomly appeared in Manchester, Southampton and parts of Norfolk earlier this week, but the media have since gone quiet.
    Perhaps in the latter case it's 'no news is good news'.

Going back to the SA variant, are specific cases no longer getting the same amount of media attention because said variant might now actually be far more widespread in this country than originally thought, and/or does it happen to be no more harmful that the Kent variant, so no longer as newsworthy as before?

Just wondering.

Re: Covid Variants

Any mention of the Finnish variation?

Is there really any merit in following why the media is or isn't reporting on something like this? Even if it did report on it, the likelihood of it being accurate or useful information has got to be close to zero.

Variants are to be expected with any virus, we all know that. Worry about it being a problem when it's actually a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Is there really any merit in following why the media is or isn't reporting on something like this? Even if it did report on it, the likelihood of it being accurate or useful information has got to be close to zero.

Variants are to be expected with any virus, we all know that. Worry about it being a problem when it's actually a problem.
    I'm not necessarily worrying about it, I'm just curious as to why the media don't appear to be making as much of a big issue out of the newer variants right now, unlike only just a month ago where they seemed to be seeping out of the woodwork left right and centre, but now that appears to have died down a fair bit, and hopefully for the better.

I guess that's the nature of the media in general, the news moves on.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 20-02-21 at 16:16.

I think it’s because the vaccines are holding up well, so the media can’t find anything to scare the pants off us about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    I think it’s because the vaccines are holding up well, so the media can’t find anything to scare the pants off us about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I guess you could be right there, Scass.

And this is despite the fact that current vaccines are believed to be less effective against the SA variant, but obviously there's nothing mega significant to make a song and dance over ATM.

I'm sure there were a load of different variants last year..but none of the boffins knew about them. Probably a good job?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I'm sure there were a load of different variants last year..but none of the boffins knew about them. Probably a good job?
    We know about them pretty much straight away in the UK as we have thorough screening for it. We HAVE to keep an eye on it to make sure we have vaccine efficacy.

John Campbell did say in one of his talks last week that it's very good news that the variants we've seen so far all look pretty similar, as it indicates that there are probably relatively few possible variations over time.

Oxford/AZ have also said they are on top of new variants with vaccine alterations in a matter of weeks. As things stand right now, it's pretty much a non-issue.

I actually meant before a vaccine was developed.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I actually meant before a vaccine was developed.
    Well at least the vaccine manufacturers have the option of tweaking the vaccines in due course in the worst-case scenario.

Though, so far so good!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information