Thread: Agrophobic Statistics

Agrophobic Statistics

Just read this on, Wilkipedia.org

People who have had a panic attack in certain situations — for example, while driving, shopping in a crowded store, going to a party, experimenting with psychedelic drugs, etc. — may develop irrational fears, called phobias, of these situations and begin to avoid them. Eventually, the pattern of avoidance and level of anxiety about another attack may reach the point where individuals with panic disorder are unable to drive or even step out of the house. At this stage, the person is said to have panic disorder with agoraphobia. This can be one of the most harmful side-effects of panic disorder as it can prevent sufferers from seeking treatment in the first place. Agoraphobia of this degree is extremely rare. It should be noted that upwards of 90% of agoraphobics achieve a full recovery. Agoraphobia is actually not a fear of certain places but a fear of having panic attacks in certain places, where escape would be difficult and/or embarrassingPeople who have had a panic attack in certain situations — for example, while driving, shopping in a crowded store, going to a party, experimenting with psychedelic drugs, etc. — may develop irrational fears, called phobias, of these situations and begin to avoid them. Eventually, the pattern of avoidance and level of anxiety about another attack may reach the point where individuals with panic disorder are unable to drive or even step out of the house. At this stage, the person is said to have panic disorder with agoraphobia. This can be one of the most harmful side-effects of panic disorder as it can prevent sufferers from seeking treatment in the first place. Agoraphobia of this degree is extremely rare. It should be noted that upwards of 90% of agoraphobics achieve a full recovery. Agoraphobia is actually not a fear of certain places but a fear of having panic attacks in certain places, where escape would be difficult and/or embarrassing.

so what do you think of that , over 90% of us will get better , I totally trust wilkipedia, this has certainly made me feel better after feeling so down this morning.

Re: Agrophobic Statistics

that sounds very hopeful and just what I need today

Quote Originally Posted by mirry View Post
    so what do you think of that , over 90% of us will get better , I totally trust wilkipedia, this has certainly made me feel better after feeling so down this morning.
    I must be one of the 10%

That's great news! But a double edged sword for me if wikipedia is to be trusted. I've only just accepted that I have anxiety but the first 3 sentences describe me exactly...bit of a shock to think I'm agoraphobic. Fills me with hope though, upwards of 90% is fantastic!

lyn , it is less than 10% so why would that be you ?

chances are its not .

Quote Originally Posted by mirry View Post
    lyn , it is less than 10% so why would that be you ?

chances are its not .
    Well I've had agoraphobia since I was a teenager, although for the first few years I was what I would call a 'functioning agoraphobic' as I could go out to work and had a social life, but it was all done with great difficulty.

However since the late 70's I've had it pretty bad and had years when I have hardly even been able to get out the front door. Even with meds I can only go out with my partner and even then I can't get far and tend to only go out a couple of times a week.

I have tried every therapy going and nothing has worked so I have resigned myself to having this forever, although I know that sounds very negative.

hi lyn, ive been a functioning agoraphobic since my teens as well,although the last seven years havent been much fun,because earlier on i didnt have the opportunity to get a career,so now that is hampering my recovery, becauseimBORED!!!!!

anyway, have you had cbttherapy? and how many weeks did you have? and also did you dothe homework? maybe you could give it another go,because forme theonly thing that helps is changing all of these negativethoguhts wehave. it is never ever too late!!!! your life is as valuable as anyones onthis planet, so dont give up on yourself!!!

tc, emma

Hi Emma, yes I have had CBT. I think it was about 3yrs ago now and I was lucky that I was offered it quite quickly and had a year of it on and off. To be honest I found CBT quite hard and I wasn't really convinced that the Psychologist was terribly good.

We started off with lots of talking every week and she kept delving into my childhood and saying I was reacting to things from then. This may have been the case but I thought CBT was about challenging your thoughts and behaviour rather than hashing up the past.

I think I hoped she would take me out rather than just sit in her office, but it was about 8mths into the therapy before she suggested it. When we did go out she came to my house and said she knew that I hated large open spaces where I couldn't escape, so she was going to take me walking around a large farmers field that was around the corner. Quite honestly I was scared witless. It was 4pm on a hot August afternoon, it must have been in the high 90's fahrenheit, and it was the most horrendous experience. I panicked the whole way there and the whole way back and she just left me feeling sooo much worse and I have never been in that field since that day. All she did was reinforce my belief that going there was terrifying.

For our next session she wanted to meet me in the middle of M&S. I was supposed to get dropped off there and make sure my partner went home and then walk around a 140 shop mall with her! When I said I was worried I'd have a heart attack her response was "well if you do don't expect me do be able to do anything about it as I haven't learned CPR"! That comment was just the tip of the iceberg of the amount of stupid things she said to me that just made my anxiety worse. On top of all that was the fact that she was always cancelling our appointments at the last minute or going off on long holidays so therefore there was no real continuity.

Before the year was up I got a phone call from her one day saying she could no longer see me as I had "trust issues". Too right I did, I really didn't trust her one bit. When I went back to my GP I was told I had been discharged for treatment and there was nothing else they could offer me.

As for homework during the CBT, yes I did do mine. I would make myself walk up and down the road every day and fill in lots of paperwork on various things. I just came to the conclusion in the end that I am one of those people that just don't respond to therapy. Sorry to ramble

well lyn,you are right your therapist doesnt soundvery goodat all!!! sometimes ive been the onewanting to do all the talking about my 'issues'and my therapisthas always brought me back to changing the way ithink about things. so i would say you need to find anothertherapist. except as we all know private costs a fortune, ive been luckybecausemy therapist is the ex head of our towns mentalhealth team so she knowsher stuff,and ive seen her privately because we could afford it.

the prob with nhs is youve just got to take whats given,the first thing mine said to me over the phone was well get together for the assesment and then welldecide if we can work together! who in the nhs would say that- its just not an option to pick and choose,is it?

anyway so failing going private, there must be books out there that just dothe same thing? also youve got sites like uncommonknowledge and living life to the full that i think are based on cbt?

anyway tc, emma

Thread Information