Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GERD/Acid Reflux

GERD/Acid Reflux

Can anyone with GERD relate?

So, for the last few months, at random times, I've been getting this horrendous choking feeling. Like I'm actually going to die.

I couldn't work it out at first as it happens so fast. But it happened again tonight while I was watching a film and happens when I try to swallow.

My tongue is so dry, then when I swallow saliva it gets stuck and I choke.

I've now convinced myself this is it and it's going to kill me.

I'm on 20g of Omeprazole a day.

I just kinda want some reassurance that this won't kill me 🙈 or will it? 😐

Re: GERD/Acid Reflux

Oh the fun of having GERD. I have had GERD/Acid Reflux since I was 28 (now 37) and this is certainly one of the symptoms that I had. My tongue would get so dry that I thought I would swallow it, which for obvious scientific reasons simply cannot happen.

Just curious, what position are you usually in when this happens?

I have this issue more often than not when I am laying down or on the couch leaning towards one side or the other. Often my would be accompanied by some acidic taste as well.

Just sitting normally. The other night I was stood talking to someone & it suddenly came out of nowhere. It's awful.
    Did you just stick with the Omeprazole and it went away? Or do you still get it?

Yup, I have gotten it a few times from just standing in place. It stinks, right? Sometimes it is accompanied by a little acidic flehm as well. Do you ever get that too?

I took lansoprazole 15mg twice a day for several months and it went away. I slowly waned off the medication. It comes back once and awhile and when it does I will just go on a 2-3 stint of the lansoprazole.

If it is really uncomfortable I recommend possibly taking a OTC tums (or antacid), especially after a meal.

Not really. Just the choking on nothing. Then last night I was eating dinner and choked briefly on some chicken. It's making me feel so rubbish. Today I have what I think is globus. Tight throat like there's something stuck/squeezing it.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Emmz

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Been referred for an endoscopy! So now have anxiety over that! The choking/globus eased off until this afternoon. Not sure why it's happening so often. Before this it happened in my sleep a couple times a year or so ago. Never happened since. Then it happened while I was awake end of last year (September ish) and again in November. Now it's pretty constantly. So drained

I suffer with this too.
    Mainly caused by worry and stress and some foods that I now try to avoid.
    I find eating an apple helps me, but it must be Gala and without the skin. But avoid citrus like orange and lemonade. You need to settle the stomach and porridge does a good job of that. Try some relaxing apps before sleeping as well.

I've been having throat spasms which feel like a lump coming into the throat many times a day for the last 3 weeks. They last for a few seconds and are really uncomfortable. I'm trying not to react to them as I can swallow as normal. I think it's related to the pharyngeus muscle.

If you can swallow ok Pulisa you need to remind yourself that it's nothing serious. You know how our minds can wander and worry.
    Sometimes I hurt a muscle in my throat when I grab my mug of tea and drink it slightly sideways, then think, "I shouldn't have done that".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information