Thread: Help me choose between two job offers

Help me choose between two job offers

Hiya all, haven't posted in a while, and it's nice to post something not anxiety or health related!

After 2 months of unemployment I'm in the rather fortune position of being offered two jobs for more or less the same pay, both doing graphic design/marketing. Both jobs are working from home, but after/if covid clears, some days of office work may be required. Both are around a 1 hour commute each way, although office work will be split with home based work if required.

Now my conundrum is that one job, which is an University, is for an initial 3 month fixed contract. Discussions will be help between month 1 and 2 whether this will be extended to 6m, 12m or perhaps permanent. The unofficial chats I've had with my line-manage is that extension is very much likely although this can only be taken with a pinch of salt.

Second job is for an e-commerce business, but with more marketing/admin tasks. This is also a permanent job, but with a 6 month probations which is standard.

My problem is that I'm much more attracted to the University job as I had a good vibe off the team that interviewed me, and being a big establishment, a good notch on my CV. However the risk of potentially being unemployed again in 3 months is quite daunting if I'll be honest.

I was offered the Uni job 2 weeks ago, but haven't signed my contract after receiving that last week. I spoke to them on Friday as working from home wasn't mentioned in the contract, but my line manager assured me that will be no problem in the short and long term, and that contracts haven't been updated. He said most of his team will want a flexible working arrangement going forward anyway.

I was offered the e-commerce job this weekend, and was going to have a chat with the uni line manager, but I'm concerned that this it may come across as if I'm putting barriers up and showing a lack of interest in the job, especially after bringing up the contract issue.

Any advice?! And does anyone have any experience of University contracts and whether they do progress to full time/longer employment?
    Last edited by MrLurcher; 21-02-21 at 20:15.

Re: Help me choose between two job offers

Go for the one that will produce the most good feelings/happiness. Always.

If the contract is not renewed, you'll find another job, but you don't want to be stuck in something you don't enjoy.

I agree with Joe. Follow you heart. That said, if it's the university job, make sure you get a revised contract that actually states the work from home is included. If it's not in writing, I wouldn't sign it.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Hi both, thanks for the replies. I guess my heart does say the Uni job, but my head is causing major doubts. Doesn't help I'm indecisive by nature, and this is a pretty big decision.

Good point regarding the contract, I will enquire. But after my previous chat, my provisional line manager sent me an e-mail with working from home assurances/allowances to provide me with written proof as I expressed concern.

Hey Mr Lurcher,

Just wondering what you decided. I'm always interested in job/labor issues.

Thread Information