Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Covid vaccine tomorrow and am terrified

Unhappy Covid vaccine tomorrow and am terrified

I apologise if this is in the wrong section of the forum but I was not sure where else to post it.

As per subject line, I've been called for my corona vaccine at last.. I freaked out slightly when I received the phone call, I think the woman must have thought I was a moron as I kept saying "Oh my god" lol.

So I'm going for it tomorrow morning and my anxiety has gone into overdrive. For a few different reasons bare with me.. and it would be really good to hear other's experiences of going for the jab please...

I was looking on the website of the venue where I will be attending, their info page for the vaccine says that you cannot bring a bag in with you as there is no room to put it anywhere when having the vaccine.. this made me panic as there are certain things I absolutely HAVE to keep on me whenever I leave the house - a couple of bottles of glucojuice for if my blood sugar goes low (this actually does happen to me due to a metabolic disorder), my little bottle which I take everywhere with me filled with water or squash in case I need to take one of my IBS tablets or if my throat goes funny which it often does due to acid reflux. I don't think any of my clothes have pockets so it's not like I can use those for any of my above mentioned things. So because of my concerns around this, I asked the question on a local community Facebook page and a number of ladies kindly replied and all said they had no issues with taking bags in with them when they went to that venue. Which I am relieved about but it is still at the back of my mind that there might be "that" person working there who is pedantic and asks me to get rid of my bag!!

The second thing, which I am MOST concerned about it has to be said.. is having an allergic reaction. I am allergic to penicillin-based antibiotics, as well as red food colouring and I'm not saying that any of these things are in the jab but it is still worrying me that I am going to be allergic to it. My mind is hugely in overdrive and I have horrid visions of collapsing with an anaphylactic shock and having to be given CPR in the middle of the floor and then someone having to visit my husband to tell him something awful has happened to me. Don't you just love anxiety?!

So it would be really good to hear about what it has been like for you if you have had the jab yet. Thank you to anyone who replies to this xx

Re: Covid vaccine tomorrow and am terrified

Great news that you have your vaccine. I think that’s all you need to focus on. It’s very highly unlikely there will be bay police there! I understand why they might advise people not to take bags with them, but as long as you can sling yours on the other arm I’m sure it’ll be fine.

If the other items were allergens they would have told us by now. Before the jab they will very likely ask you if you have any allergies and if you’re feeling well - that’s what they do at flu jabs anyway. You can mention your concerns then.

You’ll be fine, let us know how you get on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I was really anxious about having mine. The build up for days was a lot to handle.

I am allergic to penicillin and take a lot of other medication so was scared of an interaction.

I sat in the recovery waiting area for 15 minutes expecting, like you, to be having a bad reaction.

Well there was nothing

I did have a headache for about 3 or 4 days after, my arm was really sore and did bruise but that all passed in time.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Why are we all so anxious though? I've got mine on Friday, Mrs F has hers Saturday. My anxiety is building too. Is it the 'necessity' of having it? I mean, with the flu vacc we could take it or leave it, as flu is 'generally' of less consequence than covid. So is there a 'doing our public duty' factor about this jab?

My fears were initially an instant reaction and then long-term what health problems could it cause?

Just realised the date so hopefully you've had your vaccine now and all went well

Just reporting back as I had my vaccine this morning! (Tuesday).
    It was absolutely fine.. I did not have an allergic reaction.
    With regards to side effects, I do have a bit of a headache tonight but I’ve had this headache intermittently for a few days now so I don’t think it’s related to the vaccine. They gave me the Pfizer one.

Actually some of my anxiety when I arrived was specific to the venue, it was a huge arena and I do get a bit panicky in places like that. I have had dizzy spells in big open spaces for quite a few years now and I’ve never really been sure why. Anyway everything was very well organised and the staff were absolutely lovely. We were told where to go at all times. There was a waiting area where we had to wait 15 minutes after having the job to ensure that we were well, and plenty of staff were on hand. Did feel anxious while sitting in this area. I did tell the nurse was giving me the jab about my anxiety and she was really nice about it.

I got a taxi there and back but I wish I had gone in my own car now because I hate going in taxis. The venue website said that they strongly encourage visits by public transport or taxi instead of bringing the car so that is what I did, however as it turns out the parking would’ve been no problem. So when I have my second part of the vaccine in May I’ll definitely be driving there and I know that that will help my anxiety a lot.

My advice to anybody else who is anxious about having a vaccine is this... at end of the day, nobody can guarantee that you are not going to have an allergic reaction. What I can say though, is that they are extremely rare. Tell the person who is giving you the vaccination how you are feeling and I am sure that they will take their time and explain everything thoroughly to you. I definitely felt very looked-after and I feel that if I had had an allergic reaction then they would have been on the ball in treating it!
    Last edited by silver_shoes; 24-02-21 at 01:15.

Me too, silver_shoes. It's run like a military operation, isn't it. Incredible given the amount of people who must pass through the centre on a daily basis and everyone is treated with respect and care.

Someone asked what the temperature in the hall was like before they came in..and was quite insistent on knowing. He was listened to very sympathetically and the staff provided him with his answer after checking. I thought that was a remarkably sensitive response.

The man looking after us afterwards kept saying that the 15 minutes would seem very long and he was right..Too much time to wonder and body scan..but I think everyone must do that regardless of having an anxiety disorder. I would have preferred to leave immediately afterwards but I appreciate that it's better to stay and complete the process.

Did they plonk a little timer down in front of your chair, P.?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information