Thread: Trintellix/Vortioxetine...Nausea

Trintellix/Vortioxetine...Nausea

Hi Folks
    I traditionally have an awful time with SSRI's and SNRi's but my doc prescribed 5mg of Trintellix/Vortioxetine. I have been taking for 8 days and I am nauseous almost all day long...I read that it can cause nausea but I assumed for maybe a little bit after taking med but I am literally nauseous almost all day long whether I take during day or night, with or without food. It's almost like it comes in waves and when I think of food I get nauseous. Does anyone have any experience with this med? Thanks in advance

Re: Trintellix/Vortioxetine...Nausea

Quote Originally Posted by 4bready View Post
    I traditionally have an awful time with SSRI's and SNRi's
    Have you ever been on a TCA, MAOI, or other non SSRI/SNRI?

but my doc prescribed 5mg of Trintellix/Vortioxetine. I have been taking for 8 days and I am nauseous almost all day long...I read that it can cause nausea but I assumed for maybe a little bit after taking med but I am literally nauseous almost all day long whether I take during day or night, with or without food.
    So this is not the first time you've been on SSRIs/SNRIs? If so, that may explain why you're experiencing such severe nausea. For reasons which aren't really understood side effects can become progressively more severe each time ADs are stopped and restarted. They may also be different each time too.

It's almost like it comes in waves and when I think of food I get nauseous. Does anyone have any experience with this med? Thanks in advance
    All serotonergic ADs may cause nausea. The gut is the most serotonergic organ of the body by far making about 50 times as much serotonin as the brain. The enteric nervous system (ENS), the mini brain which controls the gut can be more affected initially by serotonergic ADs than the brain is. This usually settles down as bio-feedback mechanisms kick-in and begin down-regulating serotonin synthesis and expression. Meanwhile, ginger and/or vitamin B6 supplements are often very effective. If you need a more potent fix then ask your doctor to prescribe ondansetron (Zofran). It was originally developed as an anxiety med, but also found to be a powerful antiemetic. So much so that the drug company elected to have it approved for chemo and radiation therapy induced nausea and vomiting instead.

Re: Trintellix/Vortioxetine...Nausea

SO I stopped the Trintellix as I couldn't get over nausea...I started 15mg of mirtazapine and am on day 3 of taking them...Day one felt drunk like in morning and extremely out of it and irritable, more anxious and down all day. Day 2 actually had restless sleep and felt out fo it (spacey) and irritable, more anxious and down. Today is Day 3 and restless sleep, out of it (spacey) and irritable, more anxious and down. I hate how I feel and dont like the person I am with these side effects

I did gene test and I should not take SSRI's...I have tried (Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro, Luvox, Trintellix, Cymbalta, Buspar) and now Mitrazapine and all I can never get over side effects...sadly I feel there is no hope for me with meds

Thread Information