Thread: Ramipril and Conceiving

Ramipril and Conceiving

Both myself and my partner have high blood pressure and after our phone call with the doctor which is booked for later on this afternoon I'm sure that we are both going to be given blood pressure medication. I've read that Ramipril isn't good if you're trying for and wanting to have a baby, does anyone know any other that is okay? I will be asking the doctor about this as well obviously. Also worried about possible side effects regarding my partner with erection etc with this medication.

Re: Ramipril and Conceiving

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly06 View Post
    Both myself and my partner have high blood pressure and after our phone call with the doctor which is booked for later on this afternoon I'm sure that we are both going to be given blood pressure medication. I've read that Ramipril isn't good if you're trying for and wanting to have a baby, does anyone know any other that is okay?
    You're right, ramipril and other ACE inhibitors are risky, though usually more so in the 3rd trimester. Blood pressure often drops during pregnancy so you may not need medication especially in the first half, but if you do methyldopa (Aldomet) has a very good safety record in pregnancy, both for the mother and fetus. These days it is usually only prescribed during pregnancy as newer meds have other advantages.

Also worried about possible side effects regarding my partner with erection etc with this medication.
    BP meds may potentially affect male sexual function so some trial and error may be required to find one that doesn't, or does to the least extent. There is also exercise which not only may reduce the need to take a med, but also enhance the libido.

Thank you for that information, I just wanted to have it all to hand when the doctor phones.

I've read somewhere that Ramipril might effect sperm production negatively, but then somewhere else I read that it might help it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly06 View Post
    I've read somewhere that Ramipril might effect sperm production negatively, but then somewhere else I read that it might help it.
    Most of the evidence seems to point to it helping.

Thread Information