Thread: Health anxiety ruining my life

Health anxiety ruining my life

I don’t really know what advice I want or replies. But I just need to get it out to people who understand. I’ve recently fell back down the HA path, I suffered from 16-18 severely with lymph node anxiety. I then managed to control my symptoms up until now. I don’t know if it’s lockdown, nothing new has happened but I’ve got back into the routine of looking at illnesses, checking, self examinations, everything really and I really don’t know what to do. I am so so so depressed. I am so lonely, I’m only 22 so when I speak to family members they tell me to stop worrying I’m too young blah blah. But I’m aware bad things happen to any age, but why should I let my life be consumed by it? Why can’t I just be normal? This is ruining my life, I’m hardly speaking to friends, I’ve started having panic attacks again, all I’ve got in my head is I’m dying and that’s that. I just wish I could control this better. I feel like this will be my life forever worrying and worrying until I actually get ill and then I’d of spent so much time worrying that my life wouldn’t of mattered anyway. I am currently day 5 of fluoxetine btw! So I am trying something to get better but I think it’s making me worse before the good effects. I just don’t know what to do.

I’m sorry for the rant. I just needed to get it out. I’m not sure if I’ve posted this in the right place either.

Re: Health anxiety ruining my life

Anti depressants can take a couple of weeks to kick in but it is worth mentioning your feelings to your doctor as antidepressants can in certain circumstances make you anxious (read the side effects on your medication paperwork).

Lockdown will most likely be the trigger. We have had around a year of worry, constantly being reminded of covid on the news and restrictions. This cant have helped your mental state.

My advice to you is stop checking and stop googling. It is a nasty circle.

Make sure you talk to people, dont bottle things up.

Once the meds kick in you will feel better and then you can work on handling your health anxiety.

Chin up summer is coming and restrictions will be lifted soon.

Quote Originally Posted by pav1984 View Post

This is pretty much all there is to it.

People with HA often use the phrase 'I suffer from HA' when in reality HA is a behaviour pattern that needs to be broken.

It doesn't matter if you find it hard, it doesn't matter than a part of your brain things you HAVE to keep checking in case you miss something, you just have to stop doing it. If you don't stop doing it you will never, ever get better, medication or not. You cannot out medicate negative behaviour patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    This is pretty much all there is to it.

People with HA often use the phrase 'I suffer from HA' when in reality HA is a behaviour pattern that needs to be broken.

It doesn't matter if you find it hard, it doesn't matter than a part of your brain things you HAVE to keep checking in case you miss something, you just have to stop doing it. If you don't stop doing it you will never, ever get better, medication or not. You cannot out medicate negative behaviour patterns.
    I 100% agree. I try so hard and then I can’t resist the urge like an idiot and then I feel whatever once and then I feel worse and like I have to keep going back. I’ve told myself no more tomorrow and I’m going to try my absolute best. Thank you for your advice I didn’t think of it like that before

Quote Originally Posted by pav1984 View Post
    Anti depressants can take a couple of weeks to kick in but it is worth mentioning your feelings to your doctor as antidepressants can in certain circumstances make you anxious (read the side effects on your medication paperwork).

Lockdown will most likely be the trigger. We have had around a year of worry, constantly being reminded of covid on the news and restrictions. This cant have helped your mental state.

Make sure you talk to people, dont bottle things up.

Once the meds kick in you will feel better and then you can work on handling your health anxiety.

Chin up summer is coming and restrictions will be lifted soon.
    Thank you so much!! I do think they can make you feel worse before they make you feel better so not going to give up or anything, just hoping I can have a nice day tomorrow. Actually going to get out of bed and do things for myself instead of lying there feeling sorry for myself. Thank you for your help! Xx

Quote Originally Posted by orcaorange View Post
    I try so hard and then I can’t resist the urge

That's absolute crap. But that's fine because we've all done it (me included) at one point.

You can resist the urge, it's a choice. Once you admit that to yourself, it becomes easier. Just don't do it. Developing new habits takes time and practice, and you have to keep practising not doing it until that becomes your new normal behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    That's absolute crap. But that's fine because we've all done it (me included) at one point.

You can resist the urge, it's a choice. Once you admit that to yourself, it becomes easier. Just don't do it. Developing new habits takes time and practice, and you have to keep practising not doing it until that becomes your new normal behaviour.
    Haha that’s very true actually, it just seems impossible in the moment but it really isn’t at all. I am going to try my hardest tomorrow. Thank you I needed someone to tell me all this!

It's very easy for ME to be harder on you, but you do have to be harder with yourself too. Ask yourself how important it is to recover?

Thread Information