Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scared to eat on st john's wort?

scared to eat on st john's wort?

hi all,
    so, ive recently been taking st. john's wort the past few days or so, and i recently found out that it has weak MAOI properties, and with MAOI meds and stuff you have to keep away from certain foods that raise your tyramine levels, like aged cheese and fermented foods and what not (there's an entire list) because they can make your blood pressure spike to really dangerous levels.
    currently im obsessively looking up foods that you shouldn't eat while on MAOI meds, which i know that st john's wort isn't technically a MAOI med, only very weak properties, but im still kinda bugging out about it and want to be careful.
    this, however, is making me afraid to eat anything. i have sushi in my fridge that im supposed to eat for dinner, but im afraid that the sushi has avocado or soy sauce or something in it, two foods that raise tyramine levels.

what do i do? im kinda scared about it and i know that this will make me anxious to eat any kind of food. is there any advice? should i even worry about it?

Re: scared to eat on st john's wort?

I don't like the idea of ST Johns at all.
    Rather be on a prescription med.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

I've heard a lot about St. John's Wort and all the things it can interact with. Personally, it's not something I'd want to take - better to go with something properly regulated so you can know what's safe and what isn't.

im so scared to take anti-anxiety meds due to the (very small but still) risk of drug induced long qt. i don't have any problems with my heart but i just don't know what to do anymore. im being so stubborn with myself and im trying to get over my fears, but i feel like im failing. im too scared to take prescription meds, and im too scared to take vitamins. i feel hopeless

Why don't you get some CBT and/or self-help CBT?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

im in the process of switching therapists, actually :0 my current one doesn't take my insurance and money's been getting tighter and tighter so i've been seeing her less and less. she reccomended another therapist to me that's in her same office, ill have to ask if she specializes in CBT

We recommend some online ones as well that are free

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

i'll have to check those out, at this point im going to do whatever i can. i'm tired of this.

Have a look in the CBT forum and the sticky threads at the top

Quote Originally Posted by Phill2 View Post
    I don't like the idea of ST Johns at all.
    Rather be on a prescription med.
    I’m with you Phill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information