Thread: Elevated B12

Elevated B12

Hi,

I'm not sure what I'm asking for here or even hoping for. I had some routine bloods done on Monday. I got some routine bloods done a couple of days and received the results today. My Vitamin D was low which I was expecting and am fine with. My kidney function was iffy but within my norm, actually slightly better than usual even. However, my B12 is elevated and I don't take supplements. The doctor gave me two options of what it could be either liver damage or in some cases blood cancer. I'm sure there are more innocuous causes. I have to go to for a face to face appointment to be examined and have a urine test in a week and half. Bloods will be repeated in a few weeks. I can't get it out of my head. In all my health anxiety stuff, cancer has never been the big worry but now I'm worried about that and it has triggered all my usual health anxiety stuff too. I hate the waiting and the not knowing. I'm trying to act like I'm ok but there has hardly been a point today that I haven't been worried about it. How do you wait? How do you manage the not knowing? I don't really think it's cancer. I think that's worst case scenario but until I know, all the other stuff won't settle down either. And to make it even more challenging my wonderful GP who I trust unquestionably is off work at the moment.

Re: Elevated B12

Doctor's should not even mention cancer unless they are over 90% sure. All it has done is cause stress and worry now for you.

I am sure they will get to the bottom of it in time.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Maybe your diet is high in B12

I totally agree with you on that Nicola!

Not particularly as I'm a vegetarian who doesn't eat eggs but thank you for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by NessMonster View Post
    Hi,

I'm not sure what I'm asking for here or even hoping for. I had some routine bloods done on Monday. I got some routine bloods done a couple of days and received the results today. My Vitamin D was low which I was expecting and am fine with. My kidney function was iffy but within my norm, actually slightly better than usual even. However, my B12 is elevated and I don't take supplements. The doctor gave me two options of what it could be either liver damage or in some cases blood cancer. I'm sure there are more innocuous causes. I have to go to for a face to face appointment to be examined and have a urine test in a week and half. Bloods will be repeated in a few weeks. I can't get it out of my head. In all my health anxiety stuff, cancer has never been the big worry but now I'm worried about that and it has triggered all my usual health anxiety stuff too. I hate the waiting and the not knowing. I'm trying to act like I'm ok but there has hardly been a point today that I haven't been worried about it. How do you wait? How do you manage the not knowing? I don't really think it's cancer. I think that's worst case scenario but until I know, all the other stuff won't settle down either. And to make it even more challenging my wonderful GP who I trust unquestionably is off work at the moment.

I have a B12 level which is higher than the normal range. I was being investigated for multiple myeloma at the time and the haematologist said it wasn't clinically significant. That was 5 years ago. Did a GP tell you this or a haematologist?

It was a GP. It is reassuring though to hear that someone else has had this happen though and it was nothing terrifying. Thank you.

Not at all. I'm pleased to be able to report that my liver is fine and I don't have a blood cancer thankfully.

I think you should avoid seeing this GP in future? You don't need this sort of approach. I hope you are able to access your trusted GP as soon as possible and I'm sorry you've had this trauma to deal with today x

My face to face is with booked with her. Hopefully my GP will be back sooner rather than later if thing is going to be going on for a while.

I really appreciate your reply. My anxiety is pretty high tonight.

I saw a consultant haematologist who didn't bat an eyelid..that's all I can say but I know it doesn't really help you after this GP has given you her take on it. It's a shame you have to see her again for a second helping..Is there no one else you can see?

hi can i ask how high are you talking in levels ?

i have had raised b12 over a year ago ( not too high) and dr didnt seem concerned at all.infact they only restested again recently and its now at 600 i think its pg/nl

ive also been very deficient in vitamin D which caused me an awful lot of pain and problems with teeth and infections.I hope they sort that out for you as soon as possible

i find it very worrying too when a gp mentions malignancy mine did recently too but they dont think about the ongoing stress for people waiting in the meantime for results and consultations

Thread Information