Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is dog-napping the latest craze/moral panic?

Is dog-napping the latest craze/moral panic?

Over the past week there have been reports about an epidemic of dog thefts, locally, nationally and internationally. The dog walker of pop star Lady Gaga (in the USA) was shot at and the dogs stolen, plus closer to home there have been reports of organised criminal gangs targeting certain breeds and even harassing people who are out walking their dogs.

Is this the latest 'moral panic' and is it the early 2020s answer to past crime panics like car crime in the 80s-90s and happy slapping in the 2000s?

Re: Is dog-napping the latest craze/moral panic?

It has always been a thing. It's just cases bringing something to light the media can make some money out of. If it happens to celeb it's now a big deal when it happens to we normals throughout the year.

It's best not to apply this moral panic stuff to it. Next week they will be reporting about something else with this issue long forgotten. Just because they hype it up into something doesn't mean that's how daily life is. You would be afraid to go or do anything if life was as the media portray it. The media are as much a reason people have a negative bias to some breeds as the idiots that breed or train them into bad behaviours.

Animal abuse isn't new whether it's owner abuse, puppy farming, dog theft, etc. It always went on.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 26-02-21 at 10:05.

Again, I'm not sure any of us (anxiety or not) need to be following the next phase of media hysteria about anything. I'm not sure it needs to be questioned or reported on, especially here.

^Agree.

For some inexplicable reason, French Bulldogs are incredibly fashionable and sought after to the extent of what we have seen with the recent high-profile case.

What next?

Robbing makers' badges from vehicles?

Nah, that was already a big craze back in the late 80s-early 90s era, especially VW badges.

Nicking car audio systems?

Nah, that was done to death, again back in the 80s and 90s. Virtually impossible to half-inch from most of today's vehicles.

Nicking number plates?

Nicking catalytic converters?

Nicking metallic manhole covers?

Nicking lawnmowers?

Again, all well done to death already!

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    For some inexplicable reason, French Bulldogs are incredibly fashionable and sought after to the extent of what we have seen with the recent high-profile case.
    I watched a news story on this last night and that's what they were saying. Some Frenchies can bring up to $5K on the market. They also said the thieves were most likely unaware of the high profile owner. But with a $500K reward, I have a feeling they'll be found. Money surpasses loyalty in most cases.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

It's a particularly despicable crime. I remember reading a poster detailing a dog stolen locally. As a dog owner I would be very upset if mine were taken. For this reason we never let him out at the front of the house without one of us being there. That and there are stupid people about who abuse animals for a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    What next?

Robbing makers' badges from vehicles?

Nah, that was already a big craze back in the late 80s-early 90s era, especially VW badges.

Nicking car audio systems?

Nah, that was done to death, again back in the 80s and 90s. Virtually impossible to half-inch from most of today's vehicles.

Nicking number plates?

Nicking catalytic converters?

Nicking metallic manhole covers?

Nicking lawnmowers?

Again, all well done to death already!
    Manhole covers. Stolen and sold back to the same council. Maybe that bloke on the moped with the pizza boxes is really a manhole cover dealer?

How about lead off church roofs for your list?

Red bricks were a thing too. We had an estate covered in them, so we'd nick them and sell them for chocolate money.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information