Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is dog-napping the latest craze/moral panic?

Re: Is dog-napping the latest craze/moral panic?

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Who remembers standing outside the shop asking adults "Will go in the shop for me?" for cigarettes lol.

I don't see that too often either.
    A common phenomenon back in the 90s when teen smoking seemed to be de rigueur.

Having said that, most shops just sold ciggies and booze to underage kids back then without giving it as much as a second thought, and people generally seemed a lot more blasé about ASB back then, compared to subsequent decades.

I'm not sure about dog napping but I do believe in daily cat napping.😸

Well last week's big dog-napping panic seems to have gone quiet this week, at least in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Well last week's big dog-napping panic seems to have gone quiet this week, at least in my area.
    Perhaps the incident concerning Lady Gaga's dogs provoked a few instances of 'copycat' dog-napping, but now that's water under the bridge, as her dogs were found alive and well, and returned.

There's always a bandwagon/craze of some kind trending. A bit like the toilet roll thing a year ago, which is also water under the bridge and mostly forgotten about now!

Pet theft is a real worry for some people (me included), so my cats only go out when i am watching them, so i can be sure they are safe.

i dont have dogs.
    Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
    Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
    Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)

Quote Originally Posted by whispershadow View Post
    Pet theft is a real worry for some people (me included), so my cats only go out when i am watching them, so i can be sure they are safe.

i dont have dogs.
    I agree with Whisper - calling it a bandwagon or craze is pretty insulting to those of us who care about our pets. I've been keeping quiet because I'm not in the best mental state right now, but it seems like quite a dismissive way to refer to a particularly distressing crime.

As well as having my own cats, I've rescued a few who've been found wandering around my workplace and returned them to their owners. In some cases they were missing for weeks, and the owners' relief has always been very real.

Unlike parts of a car (or whatever) pets are actual living creatures. Just like having a child kidnapped.

The situation with Gaga's dogs was the breed and the value. Of course, all our pets are precious and should be protected and that comes up to the owner. Chip your pets, don't let them outside unsupervised or outside of a fenced area. Ultimately, we are responsible for our furry children.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by whispershadow View Post
    Unlike parts of a car (or whatever) pets are actual living creatures. Just like having a child kidnapped.
    And sadly the law classes them as possessions. The recent case of the dog walker run over by some scumbags who left her there reveals such things. She was lucky to survive but very sadly her lovely staff bitch was killed.

We don't let our dog out at the front because of the chance of some idiot doing something.

My GF has found injuries on her cats before that seemed unlikely to be from another animal. It's much easier with a dog as you are with them but I would worry about a cat being out alone without me. But not just for this as I would worry about road accidents. One night coming home after shopping I saw cars stopping then driving around something in the road. When I got there it was a cat that had obviously been run over. So I got him off the road and with luckily living just around the corner I got my dad to give us a lift to our vets emergency service (it was at night). They rang us back to let us know he survived but the poor thing had a crushed pelvis and damaged rear legs. People were just driving around as if he was some debris.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    The situation with Gaga's dogs was the breed and the value. Of course, all our pets are precious and should be protected and that comes up to the owner. Chip your pets, don't let them outside unsupervised or outside of a fenced area. Ultimately, we are responsible for our furry children.

Positive thoughts
    Unfortunately, some scum bags will break into someone's house to kidnap their pets, i've heard of that happening before :(

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information