Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Is dog-napping the latest craze/moral panic?

Re: Is dog-napping the latest craze/moral panic?

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    I've lived here about 6 years and had 4 cats. First was outdoor, he went missing. Second was indoor, he escaped and went missing. Same with the third and fourth. I've decided not to get another cat. Somebody is stealing them, or eating them. I haven't seen any of them since.
    Is there any actual evidence of 'cat-napping' in your area of late, e.g, warnings in the local press, etc?

Remember that cats sometimes do tend to wander off and (occasionally) not return home, and have done ever since time immemorial.

It does seem as though the dog-napping panic has settled down a bit ATM, both locally and nationally, as the media seem to have piped down over it lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Is there any actual evidence of 'cat-napping' in your area of late, e.g, warnings in the local press, etc?

Remember that cats sometimes do tend to wander off and (occasionally) not return home, and have done ever since time immemorial.

It does seem as though the dog-napping panic has settled down a bit ATM, both locally and nationally, as the media seem to have piped down over it lately.
    No evidence no. There are some native Chinese neighbors about 5 doors down and they hang meat out to dry. We live on a hill and the sun blasts us all day. I've seen some odd meat hanging outside. I assume this is to preserve the meat. We've joked that they're stealing the cats.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Dog theft has increased during lockdown according to campaigners I've seen. Sounds like it's not click bait when it's not a celeb...

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Dog theft has increased during lockdown according to campaigners I've seen. Sounds like it's not click bait when it's not a celeb...
    Yes I definitely know that, but I was was merely pointing out that the media appear to have gone quieter over it over the past few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    No evidence no. There are some native Chinese neighbors about 5 doors down and they hang meat out to dry. We live on a hill and the sun blasts us all day. I've seen some odd meat hanging outside. I assume this is to preserve the meat. We've joked that they're stealing the cats.
    Over here there is always people joking about pussy’s hanging around outback of Chinese restaurants,umm that Lemon chicken I had on Sunday night was tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolalee1 View Post
    Over here there is always people joking about pussy’s hanging around outback of Chinese restaurants,umm that Lemon chicken I had on Sunday night was tasty.
    Or much rather, 'is this thing about cats and Chinese people the latest conspiracy theory'?

Or much rather, 'is this thing about cats and Chinese people the latest conspiracy theory'?
    No lol. It's an old one. My Dad was joking about it 30 years ago.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanu View Post
    It's horrible. How many similar cases have there been? Were people able to find the dogs?
    Don't really know, as the media don't appear to have been giving as much attention recently, at least not locally to us, anyway.

I totally understand how you feel regarding the current financial and political climate, etc. But at least the media haven't been milking the dog-napping thing to death as much recently like they were in late 2020-early 2021.

Ditto for certain other issues of recent years that have been frequent subjects of 'moral panics', such as knife crime, terror threats, etc, which some people also believed were overdone by the media a fair bit on occasions, and in some instances even went onto becoming self-fulfilling prophecies.
    Last edited by nomorepanic; 07-02-23 at 18:33.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread Information