Quote Originally Posted by SideFX View Post
I have thought that Pregabalin would stop me falling asleep - gaining weight - water in ears and head sensation....But could make other SideFX much worse.
Pregabalin has a similar effect on the brain as BZDs, just by a different route, John. BZDs slow neuron 'firing' by helping to increase the influx of negatively charged chlorine ions which makes it harder for the cell to raise its typical resting voltage from -70 mv to the depolarisation (firing) voltage of -55 mV, pregabalin inhibits the influx of positively charged calcium ions instead. Sedation is a common side-effect.

What role does increasing Norepinephrine play in anxiety and panic disorder - Surely this would increase anxiety??
It might if noradrenaline/norepinephrine (NA) reuptake inhibitors increased NA levels - and they do for a few weeks at the beginning, but just as with serotonergic ADs and serotonin levels, with chronic dosing they actually reduce NA synthesis and expression. OTOH, anxiety and/or depression increase NA and serotonin (also dopamine) levels significantly. These disorders are not caused by too little of this, or that neurotransmitter, just the opposite. See: Zangen A, 1999 and my Serotonin - The 'chemical imbalance' myth.