Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrified I have alcoholic neuropathy

Terrified I have alcoholic neuropathy

Hi again,
    I am so scared I have this. I've drank unhealthily for about 2 years. I don't mean litres of vodka or anything but certainly a bottle of wine a night. The last week or so I have a numb tingling foot. It started as pain in my bum cheek and lower back, so didn't think too much of it, thought I must have trapped a nerve. The pain in my back is still there a bit but vaguely, but the numb tingling foot is strongly still there. My calf hurts and is very tight, fhe the other calf is now starting to feel tight too. Does anyone know how long you have to drink for for something like this to happen? I'm terrified I've done irreversible damage. I've also been feeling a bit dizzy and off balance. Of course I googled and the first thing that came up was neuropathy, alcoholic, diabetic, all different kinds. I'm 33, I don't know how likely this is at my age but I'm petrified. I've had several panic attacks the last few weeks, shaking and hysterical for prolonged amounts of time. I'm in a constant state of high alert and have been very inactive because of this. I realise this may have caused muscle tension, but I've had that before but not a numb foot. Any advice would help so much. Xx

Re: Terrified I have alcoholic neuropathy

I should also say, I sleep with a fan on my feet every night. My partner strongly thinks I've upset the nerves from the cold but surely not to the point of numbness.

Based on the lower back and bum pain, don't you think it could something more benign like a bit of sciatica or trapped nerve as opposed to some extremely rare Googled inspired condition? Add to that your ramped up stress levels and hyper-focusing behaviors and here you are again.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

The thing about drinking is that it is not predictable. You are drinking way, way more than the established guidelines. You're over 70 units a week, the guidelines are 14, so whether the booze has caused this or not, you are doing yourself damage, 100%.

It's also horrendously bad for mental health. Perhaps you should consider quitting for a few months.

Thanks Fishman. Yes, I have tried to rationalise with it being a trapped nerve im just so worried about it. Joe, I am aware of drinking being unhealthy, I'm quite intelligent. I just came here for some reassurance and you've no idea the hole of terror and hysteria you've just sent me into with that response.

Stop drinking so much then. I hope I have scared you because I've seen the damage it can cause first hand.

Damaging yourself and asking strangers for reassurance isn't the way forward, right?

But what good is scaring someone? On a health anxiety page? Surely that's just cruel and counterproductive for a person's mental health which would encourage poor lifestyle choices such as alcohol to reduce anxiety? All I feel now is worried when I had actually cut down a lot over the week. I want to have a drink as you've sent me into a blind panic. I'm fully aware its too much to drink. That's like saying did you know smoking gives you cancer...I was under no illusion.
    I just wanted to know if I was being over the top assuming I had an extremely serious condition that develops over years of drinking, or whether it was my health anxiety. I had already started private sessions with a psychologist about my health anxiety and using alcohol to medicate so you've not told me anything I don't know, I had already sought help and begun change. All you've done here is frighten someone?

I used to drink alcohol daily. Anything from 4 cans to a liter of vodka. I'm clean 3 years in May. Your issue is probably not related to alcohol as Fishmanpa suggested, but I want to share what happened to me as its bit similar.

I experience neuropathy and swelling of the feet (pitting edema) and it's ultimately what caused me to quit. It scared me so much.

I had loss of sensation in my feet. Random numb spots on the top side of my foot, or near my toes too. Itchiness too.

Do you have any noticeable swelling in your feet at all? Just curious.

Since I stopped I've not had any of those problems.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

And frankly set me back 5 steps because I'm having a panic attack now. The trouble with drinking is its very unpredictable.. if you have done this damage... what things to say!

Quote Originally Posted by LF87 View Post
    But what good is scaring someone? On a health anxiety page? Surely that's just cruel and counterproductive for a person's mental health which would encourage poor lifestyle choices such as alcohol to reduce anxiety?
    The choices you make are your own. There are consequences to drinking more than the recommended amount. Your hand doesn't have to put the alcohol to your mouth. You choose to do that. If you're that worried about your health make positive changes like quitting alcohol

I can suggest a great forum that helped me quit. Google "Sober Recovery Forum". They are brutal and honest but will most definitely help if you have an alcohol problem.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information