Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 58

Thread: Terrified I have alcoholic neuropathy

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: Terrified I have alcoholic neuropathy

    Try to get away from using language like 'it made me drink'. Nothing made you drink, it was a choice.

    'If I don't have a drink I'm just going to be demented with worry all night'.

    Well, so be it. However you stop, at this point it's going to be hard. The sooner you stop the better. You might need professional help to stop. The AA would be a good start.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    141

    Re: Terrified I have alcoholic neuropathy

    Hi! I just saw your post. I second finding a sober online forum. Sober Recovery is one I am on. There are people that go on that site that are still drinking and in time were able to stop. Also, you need people. If you are stuck in your house drinking and googling that is so insufferable. I am so sorry you are going through this. I have been there and it is scary. I know that you can do Zoom AA meetings. Please please, even if you are still drinking all you need is a will to stop. You need people to show you that it can be done. It is not an easy thing to do however it is way better than staying in the place that you are. Also, getting sober is just the beginning but in time you will be so proud of yourself. I saw that you are 33? you are still so very young. You can heal yourself. As an ex alcoholic and major health anxiety person myself I can tell you that I experienced tingling in my feet, in my fingers and various other places. I was in constant state of being drunk or hung over and panicky. It is awful. There is help out there and all you need to do is use google to find the support that you need rather than googling symptoms that send you into a spiral. Once you reach out to and actually start talking to people, especially others that have gone through what you are going through you are going to start to feel better. Being isolated is feeding the addiction. The recovering alcoholics I have met are some of the most compassionate, understanding and selfless people. You will be surprised how your life will change.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,007

    Re: Terrified I have alcoholic neuropathy

    Cusper, thank you so much for your message. Its good to know you were able to recover from this and get better. All the things you said is exactly me at the moment, always hungover, constantly panicked and hating how I feel. Its weird because the will I have to stop is huge, but I find myself just giving into it as soon as I feel panicked, which is all day, so the will quickly turns into giving in. And then I feel annoyed and regretful, but carry on anyway. I've done nothing but Google neuropathy for days now, can barely leave my bedroom and still drinking. I've started drinking large flasks of water alongside, but I know its not good enough. The other posters trying to help have mentioned AA too but I guess I'm still in the mind frame that I can stop this myself, but maybe I can't. And the constant numb foot just keeps reminding me and reinforcing that something is terribly wrong. If it would just go away I might be able to get a head start. I'm just in a nightmare.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: Terrified I have alcoholic neuropathy

    Quote Originally Posted by LF87 View Post
    If it would just go away I might be able to get a head start.
    You regularly use this kind of statement.

    'If X happens, I will be in a better place to start'.

    X will never happen, and even if it does Y will come along and give you another excuse to not quit again.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    22,380

    Re: Terrified I have alcoholic neuropathy

    Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    You regularly use this kind of statement.

    'If X happens, I will be in a better place to start'.

    X will never happen, and even if it does Y will come along and give you another excuse to not quit again.
    Agreed... we saw that on another member's thread who struggles with alcohol.

    Positive thoughts
    __________________
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

    The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,842

    Re: Terrified I have alcoholic neuropathy

    Quote Originally Posted by LF87 View Post
    Cusper, thank you so much for your message. Its good to know you were able to recover from this and get better. All the things you said is exactly me at the moment, always hungover, constantly panicked and hating how I feel. Its weird because the will I have to stop is huge, but I find myself just giving into it as soon as I feel panicked, which is all day, so the will quickly turns into giving in. And then I feel annoyed and regretful, but carry on anyway. I've done nothing but Google neuropathy for days now, can barely leave my bedroom and still drinking. I've started drinking large flasks of water alongside, but I know its not good enough. The other posters trying to help have mentioned AA too but I guess I'm still in the mind frame that I can stop this myself, but maybe I can't. And the constant numb foot just keeps reminding me and reinforcing that something is terribly wrong. If it would just go away I might be able to get a head start. I'm just in a nightmare.
    How much are you really drinking? Be honest.
    __________________
    There's no reason for waiting to follow your dreams, you never know if you're going to be able to later in life.

    I am the king of typos.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,007

    Re: Terrified I have alcoholic neuropathy

    It depends. If I'm having good days it'll be a bottle of wine. Bad days, it can be 3 bottles and I'll start much earlier, say lunchtime, and drink steadily until I go to bed. Which has been the case since I started freaking out about my foot and the neuropathy routine, and is always the case if I'm worried about a health thing. Then I move onto something else and the cycle starts again with a few good weeks inbetween each ailment.
    I'm seeing the doctor tomorrow and will be totally honest about my intake. Just hoping I haven't spoiled myself for life because I really want to knock this on the head for good and I've only just started seeing the psychologist to get help for it. X

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: Terrified I have alcoholic neuropathy

    You need help, soon. You know that right?

    This is fully fledged alcoholism I'm afraid. You can beat it, you just need to make the decision.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,007

    Re: Terrified I have alcoholic neuropathy

    Yeah I know, I've spoken to the woman last week about it and she said the same. I've also told my family I think I'm fully an alcoholic. They always say but you're never drunk, and I'm saying yes but I'm always a bit topped up. My brother is really worried obviously after my dad. Which is why I'm seeking help, for him as well as me x

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: Terrified I have alcoholic neuropathy

    Alcoholics rarely appear drunk. I used to work with a guy on a building site who drank from 7am every day and was fully functional. The the fact you're not presenting as drunk is actually more of a warning sign.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Alcoholic worries
    By amuawad1 in forum Neurologist
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-03-17, 13:54
  2. i AM an alcoholic
    By fanta in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 31-05-12, 18:16
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-05-06, 20:19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •