Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Terrified I have alcoholic neuropathy

Re: Terrified I have alcoholic neuropathy

So amazing that you were able to quit after all the time. It really does give me hope, thank you for that. I'm sure Intervenrion is on Netflix, I've scanned past it a few times and thought about watching it.
    Yes, being in the house is a huge trigger for me too. Lockdown has not helped at all. If I'm bored, my mind wanders, and suddenly I'm thinking ah well might aswell have a drink and stick something on the TV. Oddly if I'm out and about I'm not that concerned about alcohol, so I think a large part of it is emotional addiction rather than dependence. Although its been a long time since I've gone fully without for a whole night so I wouldn't really know what kind of impact it will have which is scary to me. The stuff you said about not leaving the house I could have written myself. Because of drinking I've gained weight, so never want to see anyone, and same as you think they'll know if I've had a drink. I've become very isolated which has helped this whole drinking thing slide along. I used to only drink on a weekend, and don't get me wrong I would drink a lot, all my friends do, and have a big night out. But never drank through the week. Maybe one here and there. Then its just out of control and hard to pinpoint what the the hell I was thinking crossing that line. I will message you, thanks so much xxx

Hi LF! Anytime, please feel free to message me. This pandemic is really bad for people suffering. People need other people. I actually went out to a local market where my friend works and when I was in there, I just feel like any anxiety just melts away because I get to be around friends which is really rare. Our lockdown ended last week so I was able to go out a bit. Still we can't have friends over and it is so cold here that being outside I have to wear a whole snowsuit in order to keep warm. So many people I know who didn't even have addiction issues in the past have been drinking way too much because of the lockdown. We have all gained weight! Me, with a bad diet so now I have put myself on a diet. My point being is that anxiety seems to be at an all time high because of the pandemic too and luckily when I get a bit panicky I have friends and family to reach out to. Again, I am on here every few days. More lately because I wanted to make sure how you got on. And really I just know where you are at because I was there and really I had no one to talk to about it who got both alcoholism/health anxiety/OCD. Plus, my friends, I know it sounds bad but I don't think they really believed I had a problem so they weren't too enthused when I quit. Now, they are not bad friends but in actuality some of them didn't want to think about their own relationship to alcohol, or they thought I was over reacting and being dramatic, or they didn't think I would be able to go out with them. However, strangely over time they realized I was no different except I wasn't calling them in the morning in a panic asking what I had done at the end of the night. I didn't have a problem going to parties or bars, I just knew that if I even had one it would begin the whole horrible cycle over again. And when people who I don't really know that well will ask me why I don't drink I am completely honest and say that when I start I just don't stop. and no one ever bothers about it anymore. I hope you are feeling better and I will talk with you soon!

Hey Cusper.
    Yes totally agree, the pandemic has made things so much worse. Sitting in and having not much to do is an instant let's have a drink trigger for me. I've done a lot better today, cut out a fair amount and went for a long walk which I was very scared to do after convincing myself I am severely ill with neuropathy! Went for a good walk with my partner and the dog and have managed to drink less. I'll continue that tonight. My foot is still numb and I'm worried but trying not to have a huge focus on it.
    I do have concerns for if and when I tell my friends I'm not drinking for a while, if at all, once we can all go back out. I've always been a bit of a party person and they're entirely used to me being the one buying the shots haha. But I'm sure they'll understand. I'm quite happy to tell them my drinking spiralled during the pandemic and need time off. My closest friend is a nurse and is aware of the situation so I'm sure she'll back me. I do have blurry vision the last few days too and trying not to link that to neuropathy as the doctor said it would be both feet and so did my psychologist, trying hard not to go down a rabbit hole with that. Thinking maybe it's cos I have a fan in my room all the time that might have given me dry eyes... just need to not drink to eliminate worry! X

Hi LF! You know what? I think you should just go in and get your blood checked. And NOT because I think that there is something wrong with you but just for you to have some peace of mind. I didn't say earlier but I had been worrying about something for probably about 6 weeks. For my anxiety to ramp up over a symptom it has to have persisted for over a month. So, naturally I was on here and I had seen your post and wanted to reach out to you. ANYHOW, I finally called my family doctor and told her what my issues were. To even get a blood test can take weeks here. So I finally went to what we call a "walk-in clinic" here and told them my issues and concerns. I was actually concerned about blood sugar issues. They did an immediate test and told me what I was dealing with was most likely an allergic reaction. And I can tell you that I am really happy I went. I had been delaying going in because I was just hoping it would go away but the problem was I was exacerbating the symptoms because I kept focusing on them. But now that I had a one on one, face to face conversation with a doctor and I had the opportunity to ask him several questions he made it clear that what my worst fears were not a possibility. So most of the things that I have been feeling have abated. We can only take phone calls from our family doctors which was just not doing it for me. I had to talk to someone. This is why I am recommending you go in and talk to someone and get your bloods checked. Since I had mine done I feel so much better and after asking my questions the doctor just said I was fine and he didn't even flinch when he said it. Also, It has been an entire year since I did have my bloods checked. I do get anxious if I am not up to date and this pandemic has just made things worse. I hope you are doing well. And please, feel free to message me. anytime.

Yes I totally agree, if I don't get bloods taken I think I'm going to believe entirely that I have some life altering condition caused by alcohol. Like I am convinced and have lived as a 'sick person' for about 3 weeks now. Won't go to the shop because I feel 'faint', won't go out walking with the dog anymore because 'I'm off my feet', the list goes on. I did force myself the other day and was glad, but honestly I've fallen into a real sick role, acting and behaving as though I'm ill. We only moved house in November and have so much do to and that's all come to a halt, everything I enjoyed doing has stopped. I've also got a little lump in my armpit that I need checked out but I'm too scared to get that seen to as well. So I have these things hanging over me, total limbo, but instead of just biting the bullet I'm hiding and using alcohol to ease the anxiety. The doc offered me blood tests last week to put my mind at rest but I said no. How did you cope with it, the waiting? I've also moved from neuropathy to possible diabetes. I'm not big, there's no history in my family, I've lived a generally active lifestyle up until the past year. But that's crept in as a reason for my foot/blurry eyes even though I know you'd probably have to have a really bad diet for a long time. Eurgh I am so annoying! Hope you're well x

LF!!! The waiting is the absolute worst. I get it. I really do. Funnily enough I was worried I had diabetes too!!! A. Because I drank too much in the past B. I replaced my alcohol with lots of chocolate, crisps whatever. I had also put on loads of weight during this pandemic. However I was displaying symptoms and I really don't want to get into it because I don't want to trigger you, but also turns out I am absolutely fine. I am down 14lbs (One stone) in your country since I changed my diet. I was having eye issues too and I make my living as an artist (oil paintings) plus my dad has had diabetes since he was 30 and he is in his 70's now. It also didn't help that we were told to stay indoors for a year. So basically I painted all day and ate garbage. Because you are 33 you can fix yourself much better than say a 50 year old with the same issues. I am mid forties now and I now need glasses. I think you will be so relieved, you just have to brave the time in between the test and the result. And in my experience the results impower you. It's just the crap that is in your head in the mean time. It can be absolutely maddening. You are just in the middle of it, take the first step and go and get the test. Honestly I know that it is so cliche to say but it's just one step and then the next and then the next. And next thing you know it will be a year and all of those little steps will have added up and you will look and see how far you've come. So when I am struggling, I always think, what is the small thing I can do to help this situation? Sometimes it is literally as small as just taking the dog for a walk or cleansing my face!! so stupid but when you get in destructive cycles, doing things for yourself in a good way goes out the window. Please keep in touch and let me know how you are doing.

I tried to send you a message but I don't know how to do it so I think I've added you as a friend haha, I didn't realise I was a bit phone inept until just now 😂

Ok, so I tried to accept you as a friend and I am unsure if it worked but I just sent you a trial message to see if you get it.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information