Thread: Beaten Alcohol dependency.

Beaten Alcohol dependency.

Hi my name is Richard been a while since I last posted I worked in the NHS and it made me ill with severe depression from which I self medicated with alcohol ,after a long long journey I have come out the other side , the alcohol has been binned and I am now feeling great ,with a new job and start, I would say if you are determined you can do it , I had all the symptoms which are now gone through the alcohol ,numb fingers ,painful leg joints and lethargy , used to come on here often but have spent the past few years rebuilding ny entire life.

There are positive stories out there and you can be one of those too .

It takes willpower galore and self belief and perhaps counselling to get rid of the demons ,and time plenty of it.

I have never felt so relaxed for years though.

Re: Beaten Alcohol dependency.

a HUGE well done to you.

Thank you so much for this post, you should be so proud of yourself

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Congratulations mate. Alcohol is the devil! I'm coming up 3 years sober too. I'll raise a cup of tea to your sobriety!

I hope you have many more years alcohol free.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Thanks for the replies it was no easy deal took me a few years but each time I feel off the wagon I got back on again never give up giving up .! Through private counselling I found the trigger was my employment and the harassment and bullying taking place ,as well as stuff that happened earlier my life ,took me a long while to work through them ,counselling is hard work with no easy fix , I needed then to get out of my employment and get new employment which again was not easy but I retrained and now work in social care ,left my last employment with a nice pay off got through my trade union for the way they treated me .

All the above was not easy and lots of hard work that is now paying off , congrats to you too WiredIncorrectly 3 years sober is brilliant knowing myself the work it takes to get there .

I also joined a charity and have taken NVQs. in mentoring people coming out of Alcohol dependency as I prefer to call it .

One driving force I had was knowing I could give a two fingered salute to my last employers if I got myself well again and I have done.

You've done exceptionally well Richard. It sounds like you've made all the required changes in life to live happily. This is inspirational for many of us here.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

As everyone has said, very well done Richard!! That's no mean feat to turn your life around and ditch the booze. I had an unhealthy relationship with alcohol between the ages of roughly 17 until about 32. Social anxiety was the reason I started using drink as it gave me so much confidence. Of course this is all a lie and that's how booze leads us down a false and very dark path. On meeting Mrs F she soon realised how much I drank and told me I had to choose between her and her kids or the drink.

Congratulations and keep up the great work.

Thread Information