Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas

Re: Texas

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    The woman who said that about lasers is an American politician as well. So definitely about anti Semitism and less likely anything to do with CT I would say. Typical blame the Jews stuff of the hard left or right.

It's hard to understand how people can either be so stupid or vile can get elected but then I look around and think the US isn't alone with bigoted politicians. She may just be playing to her audience though and so many politicians just say what they think keeps them there. Even so how could you look yourself in the mirror doing that?
    Shall we blame Jeremy Corbyn and Keir Starmer then?

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Apparently some people in Texas are trying to burn snow to prove that it's a Bill Gates conspiracy and not real snow.

I can't.....it's.......just........

https://www.euronews.com/living/2021...-it-s-not-real
    It might also fry their few remaining brain cells if they learnt you could make fire from ice.

I wonder if anyone was trying that with yellow snow

Not to make it a political discussion but that's really what it is. While the US has always been insane, much was kept under wraps and people, despite their beliefs, remained somewhat PC about things. That all changed in 2016. I'm 62. I've seen some shite in my years, but nothing compares to the divide, vitriol and pure insanity I'm seeing today.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Shall we blame Jeremy Corbyn and Keir Starmer then?
    If Starmer has to account for American politicians too we might just be being a tad unfair

We've probably got the wrong Corbyn brother. The other one would fit right in burning that snow.

I've always had my suspicions about snow tbh. I mean, it looks like an artificial, synthetic material. And now we know it is. Bill Gates again

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Not to make it a political discussion but that's really what it is. While the US has always been insane, much was kept under wraps and people, despite their beliefs, remained somewhat PC about things. That all changed in 2016. I'm 62. I've seen some shite in my years, but nothing compares to the divide, vitriol and pure insanity I'm seeing today.

FMP

America is weird. I spent about 6 weeks there as a teenager and remember thinking that it was such an odd contrast. My job requires me to be on social media, and a lot of my contacts are from the US, and Universally really, really cool people. I know a 'jock knuckehead' DJ and beer fanatic, against Trump. I know a proper blue collar plumber (who also happens to be a killer musician), also against Trump, I know a....you get my point.

However, during my time there I met some of the truly, truly dumbest people I have ever met in my entire life. Next level stupidity, and a lot of them. One woman argued that Sherlock Holmes was real because she'd been to his house during a UK trip. I tried to argue that Micky Mouse was also real by that logic because I'd been to Disneyland. She did not get it. I could go on, but no.

I'm not sure how it works, but there is such a massive inbuilt culture of division over there. I find it odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post

FMP
    What happened in 2016 to act as a catalyst for all thi... oh.

To be fair, Western society as a whole and especially the Anglophone sphere has been on a "retreat from reason" for many years now: 'feelings' and emotions now trump facts.

At the moment I'm trying to avoid fuelling my anxiety with Gurgle, but I have bought a lovely vintage kettle for home. The seller however says "don't use it because the element is aluminium and that's bad for you."

Trying to separate out fact from fiction is difficult. Read this, see what you think. https://www.quora.com/Is-aluminum-co...-bad-for-you-1

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    I've always had my suspicions about snow tbh. I mean, it looks like an artificial, synthetic material. And now we know it is. Bill Gates again
    Mate of mine is very fond of pointing out that none of the stars of "The Wizard Of Oz" died from asbestos exposure, where it was used to simulate snow. Nobody knows about the crew though.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    If Starmer has to account for American politicians too we might just be being a tad unfair

We've probably got the wrong Corbyn brother. The other one would fit right in burning that snow.
    I said that mostly in jest, especially as Labour as a whole are still getting it in the neck over the alleged anti-Semitism scandal.

If it was Bozzer and Co involved in anti-Semitism most people would probably just laugh about it and shrug it off, but woe betide Labour, though I'm not condoning anti-Semitism in any way.

Same as whenever there's recessions, international conflicts or colossal tax or crime increases whenever Labour are in power, people seem to get far more indignant about it but seem to accept such things more under the Tories!

Perhaps it's because those in the right are generally more vocal and angry about certain political issues than those on the left these days, whereas in the past, especially before the 90s, it was mostly those on the left that seemed to do most of the shouting and anarchy, but seem a lot more blasé and apathetic nowadays.

Surely today's budget will no doubt be a 'damned if do, damned if don't' no-win situation.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 03-03-21 at 17:53.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    America is weird. I spent about 6 weeks there as a teenager and remember thinking that it was such an odd contrast. My job requires me to be on social media, and a lot of my contacts are from the US, and Universally really, really cool people. I know a 'jock knuckehead' DJ and beer fanatic, against Trump. I know a proper blue collar plumber (who also happens to be a killer musician), also against Trump, I know a....you get my point.

However, during my time there I met some of the truly, truly dumbest people I have ever met in my entire life. Next level stupidity, and a lot of them. One woman argued that Sherlock Holmes was real because she'd been to his house during a UK trip. I tried to argue that Micky Mouse was also real by that logic because I'd been to Disneyland. She did not get it. I could go on, but no.

I'm not sure how it works, but there is such a massive inbuilt culture of division over there. I find it odd.
    I remember being at Whitby Abbey and having looked around I found myself in the gift shop. An American lady was asking the tour guide whereabouts Dracula was buried. I didn't say anything but the tour guide's face was a picture.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information