Thread: diazapam

diazapam

hello I have been on it now for 1 month 15mg a day tonight is my first night off it.
    Will I be ok feeling bit worried? also doc gave me Amitiryline but dont want to take it.
    Will I be ok have flu at mo so feel tired, but last time I took only 2mg I had a very bad night x

Re: diazapam

Quote Originally Posted by emily View Post
    hello I have been on it now for 1 month 15mg a day tonight is my first night off it.
    Will I be ok feeling bit worried? also doc gave me Amitiryline but dont want to take it.
    Will I be ok have flu at mo so feel tired, but last time I took only 2mg I had a very bad night x
    Hi Emily, were you taking 15mgs every day or just when you felt you needed it? If you had been taking it every day you may well be fine just stopping it as a month isn't very long, but if you are worried you might want to taper off it for a few days, maybe take 10mgs for a few days and then 5mgs just in case your body has started to get used to it.

It might be a good idea to have a chat with either you GP or your pharmacist if you are worried. I think it's totally normal to feel worried when you stop a medication as we do tend to think we will feel worse when we come off something.

Amatryptalin is a Tricyclic antidepressant and quite honestly I would rather take a med like that over a benzo anyday. Benzos can be habit forming and can also stop working, which is why GP's don't prescribe them for longer than a few weeks, whereas anti depressants don't tend to have the same addictive qualities about them.

Hi Emily,
    I took diazepam for 3 years and it took me 6 months to get off them. You may well find you'll be ok because you've not been taking them very long but "If" you start feeling unusually anxious, it Will pass but "if" they occur and you find it too much, then wean yourself off gradually.

As I say, you may well find you'll be totally ok. It's just in case.

hi Em,

I think you should be OK if you were only on it for a month, which is the recomended time limit. I was on 60mg of temazepam for years and have managed to cut down to 5mg of diazepam which is equivalent to 10mg temazepam, and it has taken 9 months! I agree with Bill benzo's are dangerous and i'd steer clear if you can!

TC xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thread Information