Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever recovered, is it possible

Have you ever recovered, is it possible

I honestly can't cope with the way my mind is. Every single tiny little thing. The anxiety I feel with a minor ailment such as an ear infection that nobody else would be think twice about. I don't see me ever getting rid of this mindset and I'd need to. It's not normal. CBT didn't work for me.

Re: Have you ever recovered, is it possible

CBT didn't work? or you didn't put in the hours and effort needed to help it work? it isn't a miracle cure!

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

What do you do every time you experience a minor ailment? Remember, your mind IS you, it's not a third party force out to get you. What is it that you do when considering ailments?

And yes, CBT should be seen as a training course, not a quick fix that is somebody else's responsibility.

I don’t think you ever completely recover but you learn to deal with your HA. CBT gives you those tools. That isn’t to say you won’t learn to deal with your HA without CBT but the road is longer and more torturous. One day you’ll get so sick of dying all the time that you’ll just accept it and kind of recover. You can wait for that to happen, god only knows when, or you can give the CBT another try. A real try.

My personal experience is that health anxiety is the symptom of something else wrong in your life. You need to figure out what is missing and fill the missing piece.

Worth noting that health anxiety is just ocd. I had ocd with hand washing prior to health anxiety and cbt worked great for me. You need to stick at it though. It doesnt take long if you are disciplined. I appreciate it is hard though.

You can get better.

I really hope you listen and take in the last 2posts Rebecca,remember you have a child in the mix that needs nurturing in a healthy way.

CBT didn't work? or you didn't put in the hours and effort needed to help it work? it isn't a miracle cure!
    Its damned hard work, trust me I did it, conquered to a major extent my HA quite a few years ago. CBT did work for you, we all saw it work evidenced in your posts some time ago, then since you stopped the weekly sessions you've not kept up the hard work, and you actually ignore any post reminding you to continue with the skills you've learnt.

Quote Originally Posted by swajj View Post
    I don’t think you ever completely recover.
    Yes, you do. My relationship with my health is now exactly the same as it was before I had anxiety. My health anxiety was bad when I had it, but health anxiety is 90% habit, 10% anxiety.

I'm not sure how your health anxiety works but mine is so bad now I am in the worse mindset withing seconds. Saw a tiny red dot on my child's tum yesterday and immediately thought about luekmeia. Today same bump is more raised so assume its a scratch. My own bruise too. I often know I'm being irrational but my mind goes *that's it, this is it* and I worry if I don't worry something will happen.

I had OCD as a teen and I recovered from that. I was all about touching same spot, checking knives, locks etc. I had CBT I assume then but don't remember as wasn't so consuming as it is now. My child copied me looking at my bruise and they said I look too mommy and I do not for a second want to be a Mom with 'issues' or to pass this on to them. Is it jusst CBT, CBT and meds, CBT and CBD? I worry like I said the second I stop that something will be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Yes, you do. My relationship with my health is now exactly the same as it was before I had anxiety. My health anxiety was bad when I had it, but health anxiety is 90% habit, 10% anxiety.
    My relationship with my health was exactly the same as it was before I had anxiety...for 10 years. But then my HA returned. I once believed in complete recovery and I want to believe in it again, so how long have you been recovered?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information