Thread: Travel Anxiety

Travel Anxiety

Hi. I'm new. Have been suffering from travel anxiety for years. Have stopped traveling. Upcoming trip to Florida by car with a friend but experiencing mild anxiety. Can anyone relate?[

Welcome to No More Panic!

Hiya Gardis and welcome to NMP

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and
    are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and
    support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Re: Travel Anxiety

Hi, Gardis. What is it about travel that you fear? For a long time, I had to plan my route in advance so I knew where major hospitals were “just in case”. If there would be a long stretch of the trip where I wouldn’t be near one, it would be the number one thing I thought about the whole time. Shoot, for my honeymoon 11 years ago, we traveled from Kansas to Montana (town clear up by Canadian border) - 26 hour trip. There was an 8 hour time period in there that we didn’t even have cell service. Stressful lol.

Im not sure what made me get over that. I don’t really even think about that anymore. Maybe exposure therapy, number of trips where nothing untoward happened, excitement about the trip, etc. Maybe a combination of all. But yes, I’ve definitely suffered travel anxiety in the past.

Thank you so much for reply. I start thinking about going away and just develop anxiety about it. Fear something will happen. U can't concentrate on enjoying life. I have cancelled travel plans in the past over this. I need to hit this head on to get rid of it and I freak out.

I’m sorry you are going through this. It does tend to suck the joy out of life. I recommend distraction and mindfulness. Play games that make you think and concentrate. Listen to a podcast. Make an in advance mix tape. Teach yourself progressive muscle relaxation so that you can do it in the car.

Enjoy your trip if you can. No judgement here, I hope you make it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts. I'm sound mt best to handle it. I actually did some packing! But I find that one day I'm good and the next day not So much

That’s ok too. Just try and keep up with relaxation exercises so you can practice them in your head on command.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, I think distraction is key. Also facing the fear itself is huge. The more you can do that, the easier it becomes. You can do this!!

I really appreciate your support. I'm trying to think of the warm water and sandy beaches. I gotta do this

How did it go?

Thread Information