Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do Gaba supplements help sleep?

Do Gaba supplements help sleep?

I heard that Gaba supplements are good for sleep but I'm sorta distrustful of this naturopath stuff. Anyone here tried? Do they give you a racing heart? I take seroquel for sleep too but wanna stop coz they make my heart race a bit too
    Last edited by gronk; 09-03-21 at 11:25.

Re: Do Gaba supplements help sleep?

Please reply to my PM. Thank you

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by gronk View Post
    I heard that Gaba supplements are good for sleep
    They may work via the placebo effect, but orally taken GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) is blocked from entering the brain by the blood-brain-barrier (BBB). Plus, the brain usually has an excess of GABA anyway, it is a by-product of the process which fuels the brain, so much so that the BBB has billions of molecular pumps 1, 2 to suck it out of the brain into the blood stream for disposal. But it might chill the microbes living beyond the 'S' bend.

I take seroquel for sleep too but wanna stop coz they make my heart race a bit too
    Unfortunately, the best med for this, trazodone, isn't available on the PBS (but it's popular with veterinarians), however, you could ask your GP for a low dose of mirtazapine. It too can trigger spikes in heart rate, but not everyone is affected and you might be one of them. Melatonin is another option.

Hi guys..

I wind up thinking about this at times because I struggle with sleep too. I've tried several GABA supplements, and while some did seem to calm me a little, I think it was likely placebo effect in all honestly. I've also taken L-Theanine supplements to see if it would help with sleep and it also really doesn't help much as it (for me) increases nightmares, and Ive tried several brands; as well. Would I be correct in presuming Vitamin B6 would increase GABA - via https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamine_synthetase ?

Once day I do hope to be free of Benzodiazepine - it will take years for my GABA receptors to normalize - if ever

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    They may work via the placebo effect, but orally taken GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) is blocked from entering the brain by the blood-brain-barrier (BBB). Plus, the brain usually has an excess of GABA anyway, it is a by-product of the process which fuels the brain, so much so that the BBB has billions of molecular pumps 1, 2 to suck it out of the brain into the blood stream for disposal. But it might chill the microbes living beyond the 'S' bend.

Unfortunately, the best med for this, trazodone, isn't available on the PBS (but it's popular with veterinarians), however, you could ask your GP for a low dose of mirtazapine. It too can trigger spikes in heart rate, but not everyone is affected and you might be one of them. Melatonin is another option.
    Thanks bro that's deadly!

Where you from in our great country? I'm in QLD

Quote Originally Posted by Scissel73 View Post
    Hi guys..

I wind up thinking about this at times because I struggle with sleep too. I've tried several GABA supplements, and while some did seem to calm me a little, I think it was likely placebo effect in all honestly. I've also taken L-Theanine supplements to see if it would help with sleep and it also really doesn't help much as it (for me) increases nightmares, and Ive tried several brands; as well. Would I be correct in presuming Vitamin B6 would increase GABA - via https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamine_synthetase ?
    Thanks for that info bro

I ain't gonna waste any coin on GABA supplements now.

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Please reply to my PM. Thank you
    Hi Nicola your admin staff yeah?
    I read your mail named 'Why' but didnt know what to reply. I'M as mystified as you. Do you think it might be a technical problem?

I'm almost impressed that other members here seem to know the meaning of gronk since its really Aussie and localised. If it's bothering anyone, please change to Murri which is the name of the tribe from which I originate. Other Aussies here will know it ain't a bad word

Quote Originally Posted by Scissel73 View Post
    it will take years for my GABA receptors to normalize - if ever
    There is a lot of misinformation online about GABA receptors, particularly around 'healing' including on detox centre websites. They aren't permanent structures that get damaged by BZDs (or alcohol), but simple molecules with half-lives of around 6-13 hours depending on which type, where they are in the brain and how often they are activated. Your brain will have few of the GABA receptors it had last Sunday.

The problem isn't the receptors, but the BZD sub units, aka binding sites, on them which are activated by BZDs. Those of us with anxiety disorders (also depression & epilepsy) have fewer [1] BZD binding sites than 'normal' and they diminish further when BZDs are taken regularly. It takes a while for BZD binding site densities to rebound after dose reductions, or discontinuation which is why a slow taper over several months with long half-life BZDs is the best quitting option and going cold-turkey is the very worst. A small number of people may develop a chronic neuroadaption with long term BZD use which limits binding site rebound producing longer term withdrawal symptoms, but they are rare. In most cases the problem is people are back to where they started with the same issues and same binding site deficits so weaning off BZDs should wait until an alternative anxiety treatments, med, or therapy, is working well. The right frame of mind is also important. Become convinced that stopping BZDs will be a nightmare and an anxious mind is quite capable of delivering our worst nightmare to us.

References:

[1]
    Hasler G, Nugent AC, Carlson PJ, et al. (2008)
    Altered cerebral gamma-aminobutyric acid type A-benzodiazepine receptor binding in panic disorder determined by [11C]flumazenil positron emission tomography.
    Arch Gen Psychiatry. Oct;65(10):1166-75 (Abstract)

Geuze E, van Berckel BN, Lammertsma AA, et al. (2007)
    Reduced GABAA benzodiazepine receptor binding in veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder.
    Mol Psychiatry. 2008 Jan;13(1):74-83 (Abstract)

Morimoto K. 1999
    Benzodiazepine receptor imaging in the brain: recent developments and clinical validity
    Kaku Igaku. May;36(4):307-13. (Abstract)

Savic I, Pauli S, Thorell JO, Blomqvist G. (1994)
    "In vivo demonstration of altered benzodiazepine receptor density in patients with generalised epilepsy."
    J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. Jul;57(7):797-804. [Abstract]

Quote Originally Posted by gronk View Post
    I ain't gonna waste any coin on GABA supplements now.
    The best way of taking GABA supplements is by flushing them down the toilet. They'll work just as well and you don't risk choking on the buggers.

Where you from in our great country? I'm in QLD
    Tasmania. But I lived in QLD for about 20 years off and on mostly near Brisbane, but also occasionally Townsville. Not a fan, mate. Hate the humidity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information