Thread: not sure this classes as a phobia?

not sure this classes as a phobia?

I ruined my life, my family, my job and my future by falling in to the bottle, my health isn't good, My biggest fear is that the bottle will come calling again and see me off but without it I don't want to go out, meet people, even talk with people, the booze makes me feel strong and fearless, yet it will kill me.

Re: not sure this classes as a phobia?

My understanding of a phobia is that it's an irrational and often extreme fear of something. For example, my wife has a phobia of spiders. You would think she's being murdered by the blood curdling scream when she sees one! Your fear is a warranted fear and rightly so based on your experience but unless you go running and screaming at the sight of a bottle of alcohol, I don't think I would classify it as a phobia.

Regardless, this fear you have hopefully will prove to be a positive and keep you on the right path.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

thank you, the path is a little clearer but has the odd bend or waiver in it, thank you for positive thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by helpmethroughthedark View Post
    My biggest fear is that the bottle will come calling
    Hi there.. just wanted to let you know, you're not alone. If I don't take into account the relapses/slip-ups, I've been sober and substance free for 4 years and 2 months today. I've also damaged my body (fatty liver) and have to live with the consequences. Had I continued as I was going, I wouldn't be here. I can not even touch a sip to bring in the new year or I 'fear' it *could* get control of me again. So, perhaps not a phobia in the classic sense, but, be that as is may, it feels like one. Like Fish wrote: the fear of what could occur will help is to stay dry.

Good luck and I'm sorry I only partially quoted you but the words fail me this morning and I feel bad about that :(

Thread Information