Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cramping Before Periods & Not Pregnant? Is It My PCOS?

Cramping Before Periods & Not Pregnant? Is It My PCOS?

Well, I have PCOS firstly. I'm 33 and slightly overweight which isn't helping, also Hypothyroid (medicated though). I explained in a previous thread that back in October I stopped my Microlite birth control pills to see if my periods would return to normal by themselves and take some time off the BC as well. It was 4 months before they returned in February this year. I had about 4 days bleed before they gradually went again (a normal length), then they were gone on the 17th February so it's been nearly 23 days since my last period.

As I'm watching and tracking my periods very closely, I'm still a little confused about anything I read online about cramping before periods. I know the normal cycle is 28 days, and that cramps usually come when the periods are coming or spotting, but several days to a week early? Is that normal at all? All I read online said that is was Implantation periods, pregnancy (definitely not a possibility here at all, as I've not had sex in a number of years), endometriosis and UTI, cyst and other things. I have PCOS so not sure if that would be a reason, but if I was starting to get a normal cycle would the cramping be normal too?

I'va had this mild cramping in my lower stomach area (I call the pouch area) since yesterday. It's not getting in the way of my daily activities or chores or crippling, just a very mild/subtle cramp. I also have super tender breasts right now, which I get before periods. I'm just feeling super confused and slightly anxious too. I can feel my mood is very agitated too.

Should I be worried about this? Not sure how to feel at the moment.

Re: Cramping Before Periods & Not Pregnant? Is It My PCOS?

No, you shouldn’t feel worried in my opinion. We all get cramps, I have some today too. Cramps often appear just before your period starts, but periods are very funny things and it’s best not to take too much notice unless you have drastic changes.
    You seem a bit more stressed than usual which could cause the cramping too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ugh so stressed @Scass I know I'm at the mercy of mother nature here because I'm not using any BC as well, so I'm not use to being off them all that much. I can make a mountain out of a molehill as they say. No drastic changes, more acne on my face and hair growth (definitely the PCOS), no severe pain, just a mild cramp.

Everyone is different- but I also get cramps a few days even before my period really starts! Also if you're feeling stressed that could lead to a crampy stomach also. Hope you feel more settled soon x

It’s usually due to a lot of extra progestin. Drink lots of water. Medications like mydol which have a diuretic in them may help too.

@ LouiseAndy Thank you, Because I have PCOS I'll have to wait and see if I do get a period in the next few days, then I might be able to know if their becoming somewhat regular, but yeah very stressed, lack of sleep, so that won't help!

@AntsyVee Thank you, makes sense with having PCOS, and I need to up my water again, been falling behind in that lately.

I've gotten a bleed today, light, and mild cramping after it went away for a few days. So, as I've been keeping track of my periods and (not periods), and today would be the 27/28th day since my last one, so I'm wondering if I'm becoming regular? It sounds strange but I'm not use to it, or if it even feels normal. I'm not sure how long this one will last, or how light or severe it will be yet, but this one has been timed since my last one on finished on the 17th February.

Does that seem like a normal timeline? I know the normal is different for everyone, but after not having a period for 4 months, and then having one, then a little under a month later, another one, it feels very strange. I know I probably won't know properly if their regular for another couple months and if I get another couple periods in regular time.

Yes, 26-32 day cycle is average.

I know, just feels very unnatural for me. It's also been super light since it started yesterday the 16th, slightly watery too. Though yesterday I had a severe case of diarrhea, made me feel very unwell (doctor sent me for the covid test, apparently a symptom. It was not Covid thankfully). So must have been a gastric, or bacterial thing? No temperature, but happened to arrive just when my periods did.

If it is a proper period, cause it seems really light today for the 2nd day of my bleed.

Thanks for replying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information