I’m at my wits end right now with swallowing issues. I cannot swallow without feeling like I am going to choke because my swallow reflex doesn’t seem to want to work when I want/need it to.

This had only happened once previously and that was about 3 years ago and I put it aside as a one off but over the last 2 weeks it has been happening multiple times per day. I don’t think it has helped that I fell well and truly down the ALS rabbit hole the previous 4-6 weeks which despite reading the sticky’s in that particular forum multiple times per day has not helped at all. I saw a neurologist on Monday who did an EMG of my left forearm, tricep, bicep, sternocleidomastoid and under my chin and said they were normal. I trust her judgement but it seems subconciously that I do not as I have spent the last 5 days searching for answers as to why I cannot swallow like I used to do, normally.

Yes I am incredibly anxious right now, I keep getting waves of panic when I go to swallow water and it is making my life miserable. To be honest I feel pretty damn depressed about it all and its getting me down. Fwiw it is worth, I know I suffer with HA very badly, I’ve convinced myself numerous times that I have all kinds of deadly diseases, ailments or other crazy stuff and they have usually been accompanied by physical symptoms that cannot be medically explained. My EMG was clean on Monday for example yet I’m still in the absolute mess unable to swallow without panicking or without it feeling forced whilst sometimes getting that ‘stuck’ feeling. The one where you go to swallow but freeze. It seems to be more of an issue with fluids. What the hell is wrong with me? I want to get back to enjoying life but each day is becoming harder and harder right now.