Thread: Abruptly woken from powernap and had HR of 180bpm

Abruptly woken from powernap and had HR of 180bpm

I was asleep for about 35 minutes according to my chat history. I took a powernap while listening to a rather boring lecture. I was abruptly woken and was in a strange dream/awake state. I checked my pulse and I counted 40 beats in 10 seconds. I quickly took a valium (I've cut down to taking them only when urgently needed) and within 10 minutes it returned to normal. I don't think valium acts this fast so was probably placebo and anxiety. I've noticed this happen a lot throughout life when waking up abruptly or getting lack of sleep.

But, 180bpm is extremely high. Yet, I didn't feel anything different except a fast HR.

I haven't had any heart worried for a while until this just happened.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Re: Abruptly woken from powernap and had HR of 180bpm

That has happened to me many times when waking from a short nap. I love naps, but sometimes they make me feel so crummy for awhile afterwards!! But yeah definitely experienced the racing heart when waking up quickly from short naps. I’ve never measured it but it’s for sure racing!!!

This is very common. What it is is that you were abruptly woken from REM sleep. Normally when you come out of REM, you cycle through all the phases again...but when you're abruptly woken without cycling back through your sleep phases, this happens.

Ah, so I'm not alone here. The REM sleep part sounds interesting, I think it takes 30 minutes to enter REM which is about right with the time I slept. I've always wondered what this could be so I'm going to look into this more. Makes sense.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

So when we take these "power naps" it's usually because we are very tired; we haven't slept well the nights before, so we typically fall into REM faster than the normal 30 minutes.

Not massively unusual, no.

Think of your recent experiences and what sort of subconscious stress you have been dealing with.

I've had this happen numerous times, and often the worst ones are after having a daytime nap.

You don't really need to take a valium, it would have passed within 5-10 minutes anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Not massively unusual, no.

Think of your recent experiences and what sort of subconscious stress you have been dealing with.

I've had this happen numerous times, and often the worst ones are after having a daytime nap.

You don't really need to take a valium, it would have passed within 5-10 minutes anyway.
    I realized I didn't need the valium when it passed pretty quickly after taking it. It's one for the diary for next time.

The recent stressors have dwindled. If I think about that situation the anxiety comes back but I don't think about it anymore. The neighbor still screams and shouts (albeit not at me/us) but when she does it puts me on edge instantly. I was home alone when I power napped so it's likely the anxiety was subconscious.

I did some weight lifting this afternoon and was fine, so I'll pin it to anxiety.

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    So when we take these "power naps" it's usually because we are very tired; we haven't slept well the nights before, so we typically fall into REM faster than the normal 30 minutes.
    Possibly, but I sleep ok. I sleep late, but get the hours in. I started taking my tablets at bedtime so I'm zonked by 2am. I have a history of night terrors and sleep issues and with the recent stressors mental health has been wonky. I wake up every night sweating because of meds. Does my head in.

☪️️

Stress isn't on/off. It builds, accumulates and sits. It's quite normal to have reactions to things that happened weeks ago, especially with a busy mind that doesn't slowly process experiences properly.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Stress isn't on/off. It builds, accumulates and sits. It's quite normal to have reactions to things that happened weeks ago, especially with a busy mind that doesn't slowly process experiences properly.
    I do view it as on and off tbf. Any helpful advice on reducing stress?

☪️️

Thread Information