Thread: Is Zyban any good

Is Zyban any good

One if my house mob just been put on Zyban, he's a bit worried because none of us ever heard of the stuff. Anyone got any info on it?

Re: Is Zyban any good

Quote Originally Posted by gronk View Post
    One if my house mob just been put on Zyban, he's a bit worried because none of us ever heard of the stuff. Anyone got any info on it?
    Bupropion (Wellbutrin, Zyban) is an AD usually only prescribed for depression and in low doses to ease nicotine cravings and withdrawal symptoms when quitting smoking. It can be fairly stimulating, often too stimulating for those with anxiety disorders although a few do well on it. Its main advantages over SSRIs, SNRIs and TCAs is that it typically doesn't cause weight gain, or sexual dysfunction (small supplementary doses may ease SSRI/SNRI induced dysfunction).

Thanks bro I'll tell him when he I see him

Yeah he smokes like a chimney mainly weed. He got depression/panic. We can compare notes. I still ain't sure about this vortioxitine stuff but will give it more time

Yeah he smokes like a chimney mainly weed. He got depression/panic.
    He's not doing himself any favours by smoking weed as it is probably driving the panic and depression and will likely reduce the effectiveness of the AD. One of the main chemicals found in marijuana, delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol (d9-THC), causes DNA fragmentation and then neuron cell deaths within, and subsequent atrophy of, the hippocampus (Ameri A, 1999; Chan GC, 1998 abstract | full text; Yucel M, 2008; Lorenzetti V, 2016). This is similar to the hippocampal damage caused by the stress hormone cortisol which is thought to trigger and sustain anxiety disorders and depression. Antidepressants reverse this hippocampal atrophy by boosting the growth of new brain cells. They produces the therapeutic effect, not the ADs directly.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    He's not doing himself any favours by smoking weed as it is probably driving the panic and depression and will likely reduce the effectiveness of the AD. One of the main chemicals found in marijuana, delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol (d9-THC), causes DNA fragmentation and then neuron cell deaths within, and subsequent atrophy of, the hippocampus (Ameri A, 1999; Chan GC, 1998 abstract | full text; Yucel M, 2008; Lorenzetti V, 2016). This is similar to the hippocampal damage caused by the stress hormone cortisol which is thought to trigger and sustain anxiety disorders and depression. Antidepressants reverse this hippocampal atrophy by boosting the growth of new brain cells. They produces the therapeutic effect, not the ADs directly.
    Thanks bro what you said don't surprise me. I'll show him what you wrote but he's a crazy gronk who never listens.

I think with all this talk of medicinal marijuana that people think of weed as a sorta anxiety drug. But the medicinal stuff don't got that d9THC compound yeah?

I can't smoke weed coz makes me paranoid. Is that for the same reason?

I think with all this talk of medicinal marijuana that people think of weed as a sorta anxiety drug. But the medicinal stuff don't got that d9THC compound yeah?
    Afaik, there is no difference between street marijuana and the "medicinal" stuff assuming the street stuff hasn't been spiked with other drugs, or lawn clippings, etc. The American Psychiatric Association isn't a fan (PDF). I think calling it "medicinal" is more about providing an excuse to legalise it.

The problem with cannabis being sold these days is it has been selectively bred to have more of the psycho-active THC so is potentially more harmful than what was around in my younger days back in the 1960-70s. Then the THC was more in balance with cannabidiol (CBD) which blocks much of the harm THC does. Most of the medical benefits come from CBD anyway so most would be better taking it, however, they'd miss out on the high.

I can't smoke weed coz makes me paranoid. Is that for the same reason?
    Probably. It never did much for me the few times I tried it. Nothing grog couldn't do and without the sore throat and lungs. Cheaper too.

Yeah, weed always made me worse and even more paranoid that I already am. I tried it when I was 18 and didn't like it ... then again in my 20s along with another substance and almost wound up in the ER; luckily a (so called) friend drove me around for a few hours and I came out of it and never touched it again. I totally quit drugs in 2001 - went to a short rehab in 2017 (5 day detox) - other than a few relapses, I'm now clean. It wasn't easy by any means, though, I admit that. The way I was going, I don't think I'd be here had I continued the way I was going.

You done well

Yeah, I knew a girl who did wind up in ER and had her stomach pumped cozza weed OD if such a thing is possible.

Last time I tried was over 10 year ago. Two puffs and I couldn't speak or move for an hour.

You done well

Yeah, I knew a girl who did wind up in ER and had her stomach pumped cozza weed OD if such a thing is possible.

Last time I tried was over 10 year ago. Two puffs and I couldn't speak or move for an hour.
    Thank you, I just had to, it was hard though, I'll admit that. Still, some days, my brain remembers the escape, idk, hard to explain. I guess weed just ain't for everybody. Even my therapist asked me if I was interested in medical mj ... and I said "no thanks". Hope your sleep is improving.

Thread Information