Thread: A few very fast catch up beats

A few very fast catch up beats

I've had ectopics for years, about 30 years, the last few weeks have been quite bad with them. However, something that happened yesterday has really 'gotten' to me. I had a missed ectopic long pause - as sometimes happens when in bad posture on the computer and my stomach is squashed. I jumped up, quite scared, and felt my neck to feel a few really really fast beats, then another long pause, then another few really really fast beats maybe 5. (what I suppose some people might feel as a flutter if they weren't feeling their pulse at the time). This resolved within about 15 seconds maximum once I was standing and walking, and then went back to normal heart rate - albeit with adrenaline thrown in LOL It seriously freaked me out, and I'm having trouble getting it out of my head, it hasn't reoccurred, but I can't get some frightening and worrying tachycardia/fibrillation type things out of my head right now and something is seriously wrong. I've had thumping missed beats and a few fast catch up beats before, but this felt more dramatic and my heart feels fine now.
    Last edited by Carys; 14-03-21 at 17:26.

Re: A few very fast catch up beats

You should check out Dr Sanjay Gupta on youtube he goes over how it needs to be 30 seconds and longer to be concerned. Whatever it was it was very short lived maybe PACs as opposed to PVCs so it felt different for you. I have been having a terrible month with PVCs just had a holter on Friday get my results this Thursday. Thankfully they cooperated that day and I had a ton so it caught all the symptoms I have been experiencing. Odd this is yesterday I barely had any and I drank some cocktails. Alcohol triggers some but for me it may actually reduce them. Digestion seems to be my biggest trigger. And stress.

Thanks for replying , convinced myself it was SVT due to the heart speed. I have been VERY anxious the last few weeks for sure, so not sure what to make of it.

I had a bunch on Friday, I chalked it up to a combo of increased anticipatory nerves about the Friday afternoon Covid vaccine, but then started my period yesterday and those hormonal shifts can trigger them in me sometimes as well. I had a handful of them still yesterday and now today don’t seem to notice any really. So if you’ve been overly stressed I can see how that might trigger them for you!

A bunch of what glassgirl ? Really suddenly fast after an ectopic ?

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    A bunch of what glassgirl ? Really suddenly fast after an ectopic ?
    I don’t really know the proper term. It feels like I skip a beat then have a couple fast ones then normalizes, until I skip another and then a couple fast beats again. It’s an unsettling feeling!!

Yeah, I've had these before, but this (after some reading on here) seems like SVT....which I read is usually benign and can be set off by ectopic beats ? Anyone have any thoughts to add ?

Hi Carys. It’s quite normal to have ectopic beats as you know. Quite often I’ve noticed my heart beats very fast and I get a funny tickling feeling in my throat. It’s over in a split second. I think it’s likely either AF or SVT but SVT usually lasts a lot longer and can make you feel unwell if my cardiology experience serves me well. Do you get any chest pain? I don’t. I really should do something about it as MIs run in both my maternal and paternal family. Strangely it’s not something which I worry about which is odd for someone who has health anxiety. I hope you feel better and had a good day x

No, no chest pain during the 'event'. I think myself, after analysing that it was likely AF or SVT from watching somemonline video someone posted. I've never really had heart worries despite so many ectopic years, as I felt that everything in terms of irregular jumping patterns had been thrown at me. I think in the past during bad anxiety and stress times I have had shorter episodes the same.....kind of a long missed beat and then a few catch ups. This was different, and it seems a large ectopic can cause an svt to follow, but to be frank I'm not sure I can be bothered to do much about it at the moment , which sounds daft, but if it was some bizarre one off then they aren't going to see any evidence are they anyway .?

Thread Information