Hi - just hoping someone has some experience of this combination. I've been prescribed 150mg venlafaxine XL for a couple of years which has been supplemented with mirtazapine at intervals due to sleep difficulties. I always come off the mirtazapine as I hate the side effects (sedation, weight gain, grumpiness, looking tired all the time).

My Pdoc suggested trazadone and I've been taking 100mg for just over two weeks. I've been getting off to sleep fine but still waking between 4 and 5am. When I take promethazine (anti histamine), I sleep much better. My Pdoc has recommended putting trazadone up to 150mg but I'm a bit nervous as I've been feeling increased anxiety at times as well as a bit 'over-stimulated'.

I know the sedative effects of traz reduce at higher doses (like mirtazapine) but does it still help you sleep? Will the unpleasant side effects reduce over time?

I'm also wondering about increasing tge traz with a view to reducing/stopping the ven. My main issue is anxiety rather than depression so not sure if this would work.

Any insights into this would be gratefully received.