Thread: Ovary worries, ultrasound Friday

Ovary worries, ultrasound Friday

About a month ago I started to have groin pain on my left side. It was a burning and pinching feeling in my lower groin. I think it started a few days after my last period began. I had my annual well woman visit right after my period ended and told the physician about my groin pain. She said it was likely from an infection and did a swab and urine test. She said otherwise they will look at my ovaries, which is one of my worst fears. My previous obgyn moved away and this was my first time seeing this physician assistant, she did the pelvic exam but was so fast I can’t imagine she really even felt my ovaries. I was so upset as I felt like I didn’t get a decent exam and I have an issue. Well, tests came back no infection, (although there was trace blood in urine which worries me). Then my left hip also started hurting a few days later, but it’s more in my butt. I went to see my regular GP today and she mentioned ovaries and ordered a pelvic ultrasound and full range of bloodwork which I’m having done on Friday. Luckily the pain has almost gone away in the past few days, which made me feel better until I googled the afternoon away and realized it may just have subsided for now due to my cycle. Im really scared for these tests, so worried they will find something sinister. My doctor said she doesn’t think it’s serious but we need to do the tests to find out. I’ve also been obsessed trying to figure out if I’m bloated or just normal belly fat. I’m a 45 year old single mom to my 13 year old daughter, I’m so sad and stressed lately. The fear is overwhelming right now. Thanks for reading.

Re: Ovary worries, ultrasound Friday

I’m sorry you’re going through this.
    You will find so many similar posts on here about the same thing.
    I’ve had 3 internal ultrasounds and none of them caused any pain, maybe just minor discomfort if that.
    The area is very small, it doesn’t take too long to look around and see anything and they will no doubt tell you what they’ve found and what will happen next.
    It is horrible when you don’t know what’s going on inside, I do empathise. But this is the only way to find out, so try and relax into the knowledge that you will be looked after & you’re going to find out what’s wrong. There might be nothing. I had one last year where they found nothing, despite me being convinced they’d find a huge cyst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for replying. My period came today, 5 days early. So my ultrasound is postponed until next week. More waiting, but I’m not as scared right now at least!

I just went through this literally. A bit different but similar. I had very intense left side ovulation pain about a week before my period was due. I’m 46 and this pain, for me, wasn’t normal. It actually hurt to ride in the car going over bumps etc. I went to my OB and had a full pelvic and Pap smear with HPV smear. I also asked for an ultrasound as I like to monitor that. The Pap and HPV were negative or normal and the ultrasound was done and the tech said “I didn’t see anything too crazy in there”. This totally set me off and I was a mess thinking not so wonderful thoughts. Got a call the next day that my ultrasound was normal. My own doctor when he did the pelvic took 10 seconds to do it and said he did not feel anything off at all. I trust him implicitly. Listen to your doctor and remember if it was anything urgent they would send you right away to get checked.

Thanks for your reply, it helps to hear similar stories, so glad your scan was normal.

Quote Originally Posted by longnovember View Post
    Thanks for your reply, it helps to hear similar stories, so glad your scan was normal.
    Thank you. I’m sure yours will be also. Let us know.

Just wanted to let you know the results of my ultrasound today.... overall everything was negative, but they found a benign “nabothian” cyst on my cervix and mild fluid in the endometrial canal - the doctor was not concerned about either finding. My pelvic X-ray was normal (for the hip/ groin pain). I’m still waiting for my doctor to call with my blood work and urine results, but I got a copy in my patient portal and everything looks normal, but I may have a urinary infection after all, which would explain some of these weird pains I’ve been having. I am pretty relieved right now, I had myself so scared and was absolutely convinced they would find the a large mass on my ovary or something in my hip. My poor mom went with me and I get her stressed out because I am so stressed out. I am trying to get an Appointment with a counselor, waiting for a return call since last week. I need to get myself in control. Just wanted to share my results if helpful for anyone else. Thanks for reading.

Thank you for sharing.
    Your cyst was probably causing the hip pain. And if there was fluid then that would possibly cause pain too and may have been from a burst cyst.
    I’m glad you’re ok & looking to getting some help.
    Take care x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information