Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snakes

Unhappy Snakes

Well its summer here in Australia and this year my snake phobia is worse than ever.
    The fear is getting so bad that Im finding it very difficult to go out of the house on warm days and driving myself mad checking every noise I hear in the house.
    Ive had a couple of bad experiences: like a week or 2 ago I heard the cat jump in through the kitchen window and make his hunting noise and when i went to check what he had it was a snake! A live deadly brown snake which he then took under my bed! I dragged it out with the rake and whacked it with a crow bar till it was dead but my nerves took days to recover!
    Last year i saw a 5 foot brown on the front path and the year before my kid surprised what i think was the same snake shedding its skin in the side garden. When i was having some renovations done a small tiger snake tried to get through a hole in the plaster but got stuck on the gaffer tape id put over it (to keep snakes out!) - hey call me paranoid but ....
    I now feel like Im underseige. The problem is these fears arent irrational (although obviously blown out of proportion to the danger) and I dont feel I can afford to relax my vigilance but Im a nervous wreck!
    Just yesterday I was mowing the lawns(in a state of near panic) when I saw my kid go over to investigate a rustle in the garden! It was a blue tongue lizard - but it might not have been! He loves animals of all kinds but I thought he understood about the danger of snakes. How can I keep him safe without making him a paranoid wreck like me?
    How can I deal with the hypervigilance when I feel I really do need to be constantly on the alert? And it has paid off in the past...
    Sorry about the length of this post but this is ruining my life , I cant even relax and enjoy a cup of tea on the verandah without listening to every rustle, constantly scanning the area etc.
    Its all I think about during daylight hours - thank god the buggers dont come out at night! -(picture of our blue tongue lizard follows, constantly mistaken for a snake!)
    cheersbluey.jpg

Re: Snakes

Hi Skitty
    I dunno where you live but I'm in QLD and had the same prob in my last house as it backed onto 30acres of bush.
    The only solution I found was to sell up and move.
    Since then I've been fine.
    Let me know how you get on - I'll be watching this thread with interest.
    Phill

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Hi Lizzy......i Have An Awful Fear Of Snakes Myself.......when I See One I Feel Pins And Needled From Top Of Head To Feet And Freak And I Dont Live Where Theres Many Snakes In Yard...i Feel For Ya.......my Cat Was Fighting With Something And It Was A Mouse And I Tried To Get It But Felt The Willys As I Was Trying To Pick It Up Eeekkk I Know Its An Awful Feeling......i Dont Know What Ya Can Do Really To Prevent Them For One I Would Have That Window Closed
    Have A Screen And Before Lettin The Cat In I Would Check Its Mouth I Do Now.........wish You Well.............linda

hi Linda and Phil, thanks for your replies!
    Linda I do have screens on all the windows and doors and that kitchen window screen is now nailed on with 6 inch nails so cat cant get under it anymore. He has to ask permission to be let in now!
    The thing is now I worry that they could get in under doors or that there might be a gap somewhere around a sewage or gas pipe or under a cupboard or something - this is where the obsessive bit comes in!
    How do you stop obsessing about something that might be a bit of a danger but is now blown out of all proportion?
    I never used to be like this about them and the house used to be a lot less safe than it is now. It even seems like the safer i make my environment the less secure i feel! cheers Skitty

Crumbs hun this is one of my mega phobias too.

Who could you speak to I wonder to try and keep a perspective on this, whilst also keeping safe - do you have the RSPCA over there, or an equivalent animal protection society that may be able to give you sensible tips (not that you probably don't know all this anyway) that might make you feel safer.

Sometimes there are advantages to living in the rainy old UK.

Have a hug for trying to sensible and brave and in the most part succeeding very well.

Piglet

Ok I love reptiles!!

I've had snakes and iguanas as pets and loved them wholeheartedly!!

That being said your fear is not irrational at all!!!
    Your fear is based on the fact that some of the snakes around you are poisonous!!
    And your afraid for your family!!
    Sounds reasonable to me.

I would say do what you can and see if maybe there is an agency around you that would have any advise on how to keep snakes away from your home.
    The only tips I know is keep shrubs and plants by the house to a minimum, don't store anything under or around the outside of the house that snakes can hide under, weather strip all exterior doors and windows to avoid having cracks, and cover outside vents with wire.

When you have done everything you can to safeguard your house then I would have a conversation with the little one about dangerous snakes.
    Showing pictures of them might help.
    It's not good to make a child terrified of anything but making sure that a little apprehension is there is a good thing!!
    xxx
    Sandy

I really dunno what to advise Skitty.
    I did all of the above and developed the opposite of Agoraphobia in that I was happy anywhere except at home.
    The thing that annoys me at the moment are all the warnings on TV and radio about how it's breeding season and to look out for em.
    Phill
    Last edited by Phill2; 10-11-07 at 03:00. Reason: cause

PS Napthalene flakes spread around the yard is sposed to keep them away

Hi Phil,
    I had a talk to our local ranger and asked him if anything would keep them away, he said there was nothing to his knowledge but if he could invent something like that he would be a very rich man!...i was kind of hoping that he would say "yes, theres a new product called Snake Away, thatll do the trick!" LOL. I reckon you could probably trap them. Ive been trapping for small mammals in the past and accidently caught snakes so why not do it on purpose -probably have to use live bait tho...hmm
    cheers

Hi Skitty
    There IS actually a product called Snake Away that the American Army use in the bush.It's main ingredient is Napthalene.
    The way I found out was when my neighbour had moths in her lawn she spread napthalene flakes on the lawn and didn't see a snake all season.
    Prior to that she'd had more than me.
    Buy a pack at Woolies and try it.
    Phill
    Last edited by Phill2; 11-11-07 at 04:54. Reason: stuffed up (someone keeps moving the keys)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information