Thread: IBS? Bowel cancer?

Unhappy IBS? Bowel cancer?

Symptoms:
    • Loose stools. Some mushy, some formed but still loose
    • Occasionally notice mucus
    • Urgency (usually morning)
    • Lower stomach pain on and off
    • Going 2/3 times per day
    • Sometimes 'passing wind' and noticing yellow on toilet paper when wiping.

Apologies for TMI.

I've been to my GP. She had a quick feel of my stomach. Had a poke around in my back door
    and said she didn't think it was anything to worry about and that perhaps i have a mild case of IBS. Can IBS come on suddenly in your 30s?
    She's given me a blood test form and also asked me to do a faecal test for blood and inflammation. Now over the years i jumped at tests and wanted to know yesterday what was going on with me. I'm finding as I'm aging I'm scared stiff to have them! I guess I'm just looking for support or some words of advice from someone who's been in the same position. I feel alone with my worries and no-one i know really understands. I used to go to family and friends to talk to them but after being told to "stop being stupid" or being laughed at for so long i don't bother now. I feel like a prisoner in my own head.

Last edited by Stace1990; 19-03-21 at 11:11.

Re: IBS? Bowel cancer?

I could have written what you are saying myself. Especially if we look back a few months in time.

I have had every symtom on your list, and just as for you it started very suddenly for me as well. Basically one day I was fine and the next day I wasn't (I wrote a thread about it in here). I am also 31 and have never really experienced IBS-like symtoms before, even though I've had anxiety since I was 27.

Did anything out of the ordinary happen in your life recently, or have you been going through a lot of stress? For me I went through a really stressful move to another apartment when I also had a lot of other issues going on. That's when it all started.

I've just been to the doctor once and taken a bunch of blood tests, all of them turned out fine. My issues haven't gone away but have become significantly better since they first started, so I take that as a sign it's probably IBS. I can also go now for a couple of weeks without having any issues at all but then it returns when I feel more stressed.

Hope I was able to help you a little You are not alone feeling like this!

hey, as much as i don't wish this on anyone, it's nice to know I'm not alone! Theres been a LOT of stress going on since before christmas, and to throw that in the mix with anxiety doesn't help at all. My health anxiety calmed down and I'd been fine for year or so and then out of nowhere its back with a vengeance. I'm so tired all the time too. So with the bowel issues and the lack of energy I'm convinced I'm dying i can't tell anymore what's anxiety and what's a physical problem and I'm so drained x

well I've plucked up the courage to book in for the blood test. I can't get one until the 7th Apri. I will send the stool sample off tommorow. Had a really bad day today and ended up on some site about never too young for bowel cancer and thats it. I'm in bits. I'm so tired all the time too whether i sleep well or not. I've had one or two worries before this but never to this extent. I'm convinced I've got it and I'm numb with fear.

Here’s my two cents. The various phrases and websites we Google and then read horror stories from, can’t diagnose you and absolutely never make you feel less anxious. You have your appt booked, so best to stay off Google if you can’t avoid googling your symptoms. It’s only going to make you feel worse.

glassgirlw thank you for replying. You know that, i know that, but it has seriously gotten the better of me today. I've had a blood test in the past and worried while i waited, and now it seems worse because we have to wait to actually have the blood test because of covid. All i keep thinking is I've put this off and now i have to wait even longer and what if it is that and its getting worse. The what ifs aren't helpful but if you're here I'm guessing you know the struggle too.

I know the struggle all too well lol. But - I also know my limits and triggers. Google has absolutely never served me well in relation to my own health. In fact, it has a 100% success rate at making me worse. So I just don’t let myself do it anymore. I can Google all day for someone else’s issues and no problems. But for myself, it’s a big Nope!!

Same here! I can google just fine for someone else and be reasonable. Myself though and it's a different story i was trying to find information for people who had worrying symptoms but had less worrying causes but dr google decides to do the opposite and throw up forums for young people diagnosed with it and then boom! My day has been wasted reading worst case scenarios and I'm the worst ive been in years. What's worse is the frequently looser stools have gone the opposite and now I'm slightly constipated. Another red flag.

It's never really a good idea to google symptoms, I learned that the hard way. You think stuff like "Oh I'll just try to find someone with similar symptoms like me where it turned out to be nothing sinister". But yeah that's not going to happen x)

Honestly I've become scared of googling because I know if I just find one story of a person having some horrible disease my whole day would be ruined. If I really want reassurance now I either look for some thread on here (there usually is plenty of them where people have similar symptoms, especially when it comes to gut issues), or I google something like "stomach problems anxiety".

What do you do when you experience your symptoms? I made the mistake of usually just sitting in the sofa (or on the toilet), waiting for them to go away. Actually I found that if I forced myself to do something where I really had to focus the pain would often just dissappear on its own. Also I found that I had much less stomach issues on the days I would be working (and I was busy) rather than on the weekend where I usually didn't have much planned.

Maybe it's the same for you? Have you noticed some times when your symptoms have been much less severe?

Quote Originally Posted by lobbie View Post
    It's never really a good idea to google symptoms, I learned that the hard way. You think stuff like "Oh I'll just try to find someone with similar symptoms like me where it turned out to be nothing sinister". But yeah that's not going to happen x)

Honestly I've become scared of googling because I know if I just find one story of a person having some horrible disease my whole day would be ruined. If I really want reassurance now I either look for some thread on here (there usually is plenty of them where people have similar symptoms, especially when it comes to gut issues), or I google something like "stomach problems anxiety".

What do you do when you experience your symptoms? I made the mistake of usually just sitting in the sofa (or on the toilet), waiting for them to go away. Actually I found that if I forced myself to do something where I really had to focus the pain would often just dissappear on its own. Also I found that I had much less stomach issues on the days I would be working (and I was busy) rather than on the weekend where I usually didn't have much planned.

Maybe it's the same for you? Have you noticed some times when your symptoms have been much less severe?

You're absolutely right. I know Google is the enemy when it comes to health anxiety. I got so low that day i reverted back to old ways. I've avoided it for a long time. We all know it will only make things 100x worse. I think when you're at work everything gets pushed to the back of your mind. Especially being a carer. I'm more focused on my service users. I've sent off the stool sample now and its the waiting that makes it so much worse. I guess my main concern is how tired i am and my stool literally goes between loose/constipated/undigested food. The normal poo is a rarity! I know that realistically the chances of BC are low. I read something like 1 in 10,000.
    Stupid how we zone in on that measly 1 though eh?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information