Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What does SVT feel like?

Re: What does SVT feel like?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    You're an asset to this forum, Careful. Don't let people make you feel otherwise. We need you on here.
    Thanks guys, it means a lot, really.

I have only just come back onto this forum after some time away from it and I must say I am somewhat disappointed by some of what I have read in response to me explaining to Careful1 that her(?)response to my post frightened me. It did frighten me. I did not personally attack her. For anyone in doubt, please re-read my original response to her. I even admitted that I should not have perhaps asked "what does X feel like" because no one can really say as symptoms feel different for everyone. I apologise if my response caused any offence but to mention at the end of your reply "you have a good day now", I could equally find that offensive and dismissive of my concerns toward your original reply and also patronising as it has somewhat of a sarcastic tone. At least that's what I took from it but understand that some meanings can be misconstrued in text...

DaisyFay did not provide completely inaccurate information - I believe she was most likely talking about sustained VT because that would make you feel pretty ill and it is also true that sustained VT rarely happens in normal hearts. I have also had cardiologists tell me this. I understand that it CAN happen, however and I know you were pointing that. I didn't read what DaisyFay said and automatically thought "oh well great, I don't need to see a dr now because X has said it's fine"....like she said, we go to drs for a diagnosis and come here to talk to others who suffer from the same and to sometimes hear why it may not be something terrible. We all know constant reassurance is actually counter-productive to anxiety in the longer term. It appears you are very knowledgeable indeed but sometimes too much information, especially on an anxiety forum where it could get get into the "wrong mind" is equally a dangerous thing as I'm sure you know that anxiety patterns can often involve people seeking out purely the scary information and filtering out the rest. I acknowledge that you wanted to correct any misinformation so someone who may potentially have a condition doesn't ignore it but I think it was just the way it came across (to me, I am not speaking for others here) was scary. It felt like you were saying (in response to DaisyFay) that "even though your cardiologist said VT only happens in diseased hearts, he could be wrong". I did read your reply to the lady who was suffering from severe menstrual bleeding and I agree that she was being overly dramatic and nothing could have talked her down at that point and you were trying to reassure her but sometimes providing too much information, even if it is factual, is a scary thing for some people.

Responses from others to your posts on this thread have made me feel like I was deliberately being horrible when I wasn't. I even said that I don't mean for what I say to come across as sounding horrible. I have always felt supported on this forum but now I feel a little vindicated for just having mentioned that I was scared. I am not someone who would listen to someone else's experience and assume mine is the same and not see a medical professional because of it. I just found your responses too in depth and I think potentially others may do too and that may trigger their anxiety. I shall be sure not to start any more threads on here in future.
    Last edited by Honeyskye; 07-07-21 at 17:22.

No, what she said was that VT doesn’t happen in people with normal hearts. It doesn’t matter if she meant sustained VT because that wouldn’t be accurate either. You may have heard a doctor tell you that sustained VT is some what rare in a normal heart but no doctor is gonna say that it doesn’t happen.

In any case it doesn’t matter as I wasn’t addressing you nor your post the first two times I commented. I was speaking in general and just correcting misinformation.
    Last edited by Careful1; 08-07-21 at 14:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Careful1 View Post
    No, what she said was that VT doesn’t happen in people with normal hearts. It doesn’t matter if she meant sustained VT because that wouldn’t be accurate either. You may have heard a doctor tell you that sustained VT is some what rare in a normal heart but no doctor is gonna say that it doesn’t happen.

In any case it doesn’t matter as I wasn’t addressing you nor your post the first two times I commented. I was speaking in general and just correcting misinformation.

I was also talking about the comment you made TO ME about my post informing you that you had scared me. It was very defensive. No Dr has said it doesn't happen, just that it is rare, which is what I said! But there is a way of explaining this without making it sound like everyone sitting at home could have an undiagnosed heart arrhythmia which is how it came across. That was my point which you seem to have glazed entirely over. Neither myself nor DaisyFay were being horrible, we just simply said your responses had triggered our anxiety and now we've been made to look like idiots because everyone has assumed we've come here for a diagnosis.

I have noticed in another post you mention that you work in medical profession? I am just wondering what it is you do?

we just simply said your responses had triggered our anxiety
    Thats not careful's problem though, who was trying to help, thats because you have an anxiety problem.

Careful made a long statement in response to your post and in it the following points were made

I have been getting runs of it and my heart is “normal”. I don’t by any means aim to scare anyone but inaccurate information is dangerous. I would hate for someone to be sitting somewhere with symptoms thinking well my heart is normal so it can’t possibly be dangerous when they should be getting it evaluated.
    Any new symptoms should always be checked out. If you suffer from ectopics and your getting something that doesn’t feel like your normal ectopics have your doctor check you over. It’s probably nothing serious but it’s better safe then sorry.
    Again my purpose is not to scare anyone, your probably not having runs of VT and even if by some small chance you were in a healthy heart occasional brief runs is not all that concerning.
    You have HA, so picked any possible negativity and elevated it as you are hyper scrutinising things relating to health. I see nothing wrong at all in Careful's sensible, responsible AND reassuring post. No, its not want you wanted to hear, as it is challenging for anyone with HA - 'some people can have arrythmias, so quickly get it checked' - but it is the reality of life. I've been there myself on the HA front, all you want is confirmation that nothing is wrong, but that can't always be possible. On another forum I am on, relating to a physical health condition, there are often question that arise 'Do I have X?' It would be easy to make people feel instantly better by just saying 'Of course not, nothing the matter, go away and be happy......etc'. However, that would be a dangerous think to do, and morally as a person replying you have a responsibility to ensure that anything you say is as accurate as possible and doesn't result in people being not being checked or treated. How would it be if someone read inaccurate information and had a catastrophic incident as a result ?
    Last edited by Carys; 08-07-21 at 17:11.

APRN but what does that have to do with anything?

Let me clarify for the final time, because my point keeps being entirely missed. I have never said what Careful1 said was wrong. My issue was its delivery. Please understand that. Responses to my post about finding what she said scary were jumped on and belittled. That is unfair. Yes, I DO have any anxiety problem, but, you don't know me so please do not assume that I hyper scrutinised what Careful1 said. None of us here know what level the other person's anxieties are at or how the manifest. We all have an obligation to each other to be empathetic as well as not provide any misinformation. If you look at the rules for the forum it states that any discussions on illnesses should always be done so in an anxiety-friendly way. I feel we are taking away from that here. Reading all of these responses have made me feel as though I am being unreasonable but I have received a couple of private messages from members on here to say they thought the discussions on this post were too much also...jumping on to a post and telling people in an aggressive tone they are giving out dangerous information is horrible and unnecessary. I work as a clinical negligence lawyer. I see day in, day out, claims by families who have lost loved ones at the hands of negligent drs and hospitals. Some people have gone into hospital for something routine and never came out due to some error on the part of a medical professional, BUT, I would never, ever bring anything like this into a conversation. It's like me saying "well, you're probably okay but, I know of a person who had something similar and they ended up having X so that dr could be wrong so i'd go get a second opinion". C'mon guys, please understand where I am coming from. I think we have all made our respective points. I just think the information Careful provided was so factual, it was just like googling which, as we all know, we come here to avoid. Nothing to do with mine or anyone else's anxiety problem, just a simple observation.

Carys, you have replied on some of my threads before and I have always found you super helpful so I am pretty disappointed having read some of your responses here.

an aggressive tone
    I read no 'aggressive tone'. Period.

Carys, you have replied on some of my threads before and I have always found you super helpful so I am pretty disappointed having read some of your responses here.
    I try to speak on the side of objectivity, and if that 'disappoints' you, then so be it.

I'm sorry Honeyskye you are writing in quite an entitled way, as if the members on here are a paid for service where you can choose the 'delivery' style. We are all unpaid, 'unskilled' individuals with past or present mental health problems who try to help if we can. In this instance you put something on a public forum, and had some public replies, notably from Careful - who (and this is the important part) was genuinely trying to help ! OK, you didn't like her style of writing, it didn't match what you wanted, but surely using the empathy you refer to above, you can see that there was no malice intended. Surely. Accusing somebody of not adhering to the requirements of the forum is out of order, when there was an intention to be kind and responsible.

I just think the information Careful provided was so factual

I just wondered if anyone else gets this and whether it sounds like an SVT?

You actually asked a really specific medically biased question, about SVT, what is feels like and whether your symptoms sounded like it - and you got quite a specific answer. Thats it. As it happens, its understandable that somebody in a medical field came in and gave more information that most would, as they have a background in the field. Individual differences in posters is something that just has to be accepted in a public arena. She repeated not wanting to scare people a number of times and reassured. Careful has replied to quite a few of your threads I can see, in the last couple of years, and been reassuring - does that count for nothing ?

I'm not here to argue Honeyskye, I understand that these physical matters can be really frightening, but I feel the need to stand up for someone who (whilst incidentally already struggling with her own problems) was attempting to assist and has been criticised for her style. I had the same happen to me a few years ago on here, when I thought I'd gone out of my way to be really careful with my wording and say the right things, it gutted me at the time.

Nobody is saying you were asking for diagnosis, that thought never even occurred to me.
    Last edited by Carys; 09-07-21 at 22:41.

Honeyskye, I also work in the legal field!

I took a break from the forum due to this thread and have decided to remove myself entirely. It is also not in my nature to want to be involved in conversations such as this so will be my last reply:

This is an anxiety forum.

Honeyskye and myself have the right to set our boundaries and point out when we feel triggered.

We are here in the context of anxiety sufferers and not as our professions. No one should be here for, or giving out, in depth medical information.

Calling my post “dangerous misinformation” was, in my view, aggressive. It could have been approached in the form of a conversation to point out what you felt was incorrect. You must remember that if I have been told something by a professional, then to me, it is not dangerous information. As far as I was concerned, that was my truth as it was what I knew. I have of course now booked another appointment with my doctors to discuss the points you challenged.

The T&Cs state “No More Panic is primarily a site for support for Panic/Anxiety but appreciates that this may be accompanied by other conditions. However, any threads started to deliberately start a discussion related to the original condition and does not discuss the Anxiety may be removed.” So let’s please remember we are not giving out medical knowledge here, this is an anxiety forum for anxiety sufferers. A simple “remember to see a professional” will usually suffice.

I hope you can see the contradiction when being told “Thats not careful's problem though” and then further told “I feel the need to stand up for someone who (whilst incidentally already struggling with her own problems)”, so are we caring about each others problems or not here?

An anxiety forum is not the place for confrontation, ganging up or anxiety triggering debates.

Honeyskye I’m sorry that you came to an anxiety forum for an anxiety appropriate conversation, but were triggered (which happens unintentionally sometimes!) and therefore tried to set a boundary but have had to deal with confrontation in response. I know this has caused yourself and myself even more anxiety. I really hope you are doing ok. This hasn’t been nice at all for you. I see and hear you entirely.

Careful1 I appreciate the time you take to reply to so many people. I’m also deeply sorry that you are going through your own struggles right now and I’m glad to know you are doing well. But please do not take it personal and be defensive to a boundary being set by people feeling triggered, we can respect one another’s space here. I genuinely wish you all the best.

Lastly, I will no longer be using this forum but let’s all remember we have NO idea who is sat behind these computer screens and we can therefore never take what ANYONE here says as gospel. The only thing we do know is that we all have anxiety and we are all human therefore open to sensitivities, errors, mistakes so much more.

As I’ve done for the previous decade, I’ll stick to my doctor for medical information and anxiety forums for anxiety chat.

Best wishes to all.

Daisyfay, in your post the you deleted you asked 'is there anyone who knows something about AFIB and can tell me about it'. You had a reply accordingly, yet again from Careful. You asked a specific question about a medical condition. Why ask the question and then say nobody is here to talk about health conditions !? This is entirely illogical, you are berating someone for answering, fully, the very question you asked. If you don't want information, then don't ask for it, or even start the discussion. Yes, I think it's very sensible to stick to what your doctor tells you and says, and not then ask for descriptions and information about something from anonymous people on a public forum ! As you say, this is an anxiety forum, and asking questions with the aim of ascertaining if you have a heart condition is not a good idea.
    Last edited by Carys; 09-07-21 at 22:41.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information