Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to ignore fast heartrate

Re: How to ignore fast heartrate

Optimists live longer apparently. Interesting stuff this is.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Optimists live longer apparently. Interesting stuff this is.
    It makes perfect sense though if you think about it. There are plenty of people here who view optimism as being unrealistic, but really it's down to a choice of using your imagination to create a healthy future for yourself, or an unhealthy one.

Like I said, when I read the book I perceived a lot of woo-woo, but there are so many cultures that for thousands of years have suggested exactly the same consequences of certain ways of thinking. For example there's an Indian guy called Sadghuru who talks about exactly the same thing. He's a spiritual teacher. Again, some of the things he says are utter BS (being gay being a choice for example), but when you start to examine the common teachings across the ages and cultures, you have to see obvious truths in them. This is why I came to the conclusion that prayer CAN actually come true, because you are often visualising a better future for yourself WITH faith and belief. I don't believe the field is out there organising for you so much, but I do believe that visually choosing a particular future for yourself and having faith that it will happen will subconsciously alter your behaviour to make that outcome more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    It makes perfect sense though if you think about it. There are plenty of people here who view optimism as being unrealistic, but really it's down to a choice of using your imagination to create a healthy future for yourself, or an unhealthy one.

Like I said, when I read the book I perceived a lot of woo-woo, but there are so many cultures that for thousands of years have suggested exactly the same consequences of certain ways of thinking. For example there's an Indian guy called Sadghuru who talks about exactly the same thing. He's a spiritual teacher. Again, some of the things he says are utter BS (being gay being a choice for example), but when you start to examine the common teachings across the ages and cultures, you have to see obvious truths in them. This is why I came to the conclusion that prayer CAN actually come true, because you are often visualising a better future for yourself WITH faith and belief. I don't believe the field is out there organising for you so much, but I do believe that visually choosing a particular future for yourself and having faith that it will happen will subconsciously alter your behaviour to make that outcome more likely.
    Loving this book. Makes you look at things in a different perspective. Still towards the beginning.

I like Sandghuru, but was swayed on him when I learned he was accused of killing his wife. I like him, but there's a lot of teachers that teach this. I want to get at the source of it. What are they rehashing and from where? Absolutely not saying it's all BS, but like he says in this book King Edward was using techniques to cure and had done it over 1000 times (need to research this). So it's nothing new.

Alan Watts is another. He's great.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

I think the source of all of this just comes from tens of thousands of years of accumulated knowledge and wisdom. It wouldn't be too far fetched to assume that cultures all across the globe had developed similar observations about the workings of the human condition.

I think it all went tits up when formal education was created during the industrial revolution. Looked good on paper......

There's a lot to be said for NOT over intellectualising everything.

Not only that but I think people are more distracted today. The first thing people do before reading anything on the fringe is Google for the sceptics view first. That's pessimism

☪️️

I wonder why doctors don't prescribe placebos. They could work well in MH conditions.

☪️️

Antidepressants and placebo have almost the same efficacy.

Just sayin'.....

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Antidepressants and placebo have almost the same efficacy.

Just sayin'.....
    You're not wrong there. Like the numerous times I'm convinced the valium kicks in within 10 minutes and helps me

Ok what about the other way around. I drink a monster energy drink and my heart rate goes up. Or coffee. Is the knowledge of knowing that both increase heart rate enough to make the heart rate increase? Whereas if one wasn't to know that, or is of no concern to one, then nothing would happen? Because there are many times I've drank both and had no negative effects.

☪️️

I watched an episode of Bobs Burgers (funny cartoon). One of the characters said "I love a good coffee in the morning, makes me feel like butterflies in my chest. Let's dance.". And the character was happy and jolly.

I felt that relevant to the discussion of perception.

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    You're not wrong there. Like the numerous times I'm convinced the valium kicks in within 10 minutes and helps me

Ok what about the other way around. I drink a monster energy drink and my heart rate goes up. Or coffee. Is the knowledge of knowing that both increase heart rate enough to make the heart rate increase? Whereas if one wasn't to know that, or is of no concern to one, then nothing would happen? Because there are many times I've drank both and had no negative effects.
    I think the answer to this is that 'it depends'.

I think it's 100% possible that knowing you're drinking caffeine can make your heart rate go up before the caffeine can take effect.

However, it does work the other way round too. About 5 years ago I took a painkiller that had caffeine in without knowing. Within 20-30 minutes I had massive waves of adrenaline and my heart rate was up around 90bpm, and I just didn't know why. It wasn't until I had a moment of clarity and remembered I took these strong painkillers and checked the ingredients and then realised I'd taken as much caffeine as a double espresso.

I CAN drink coffee now, but I choose not to. I mostly have decaf, and sometimes add a bit of real coffee in there too.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information