Thread: New business venture - Learning video editing!

New business venture - Learning video editing!

So as some of you know I'm a sound designer and online video/content creator (for an online academy) by trade. I basically program synthesizers and teach people how to use them and make music.

I'm starting a new venture this year with another sound designer pal in the USA, and due to the nature of online presence we have to hit Youtube pretty hard too.

I finished off some synth sounds today and made this little track with them, but I used the audio to create a 'teaser' video for the new company. It's the first time I've done anything like this and I know it's a little rough around the edges, but I'd appreciate any thoughts from 'non industry' types.

Re: New business venture - Learning video editing!

Hey Joe that's very good! I take it that's you on the synth. Who do you market to? Is it ad creation? The sound definitely has what I'd call a suspense type feel...at least that piece you posted. Good luck on your new venture!

Yeah I programmed the sounds then wrote the 'music'.

In reality it's designed to provide sounds to the film/TV scoring community, which is my target customer base.

Thanks for checking it out.

Hiyer ! Very clever indeed, and as someone who is not clever with technology at all, it feels very wrong commenting - but as you asked I'll give my opinion anyway

I think the 'symmetrical central line reflection' of the tower blocks is a little dated as a concept. Also, the music repetitions before it moves on to a new motif takes a little longer than was 'comfortable' as a listener - what I mean is I was expecting it to change well before it actually did. However, don't listen to anything I say if you had strong concept ideas that you are happy with, I know nowt about the industry. (there are a few jitters in the background of the find few seconds, that distract from the smoothness)

The very best of luck to you AJ !

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Hiyer ! Very clever indeed, and as someone who is not clever with technology at all, it feels very wrong commenting - but as you asked I'll give my opinion anyway

I think the 'symmetrical central line reflection' of the tower blocks is a little dated as a concept. Also, the music repetitions before it moves on to a new motif takes a little longer than was 'comfortable' as a listener - what I mean is I was expecting it to change well before it actually did. However, don't listen to anything I say if you had strong concept ideas that you are happy with, I know nowt about the industry. (there are a few jitters in the background of the find few seconds, that distract from the smoothness)

The very best of luck to you AJ !

Thanks Carys, that's actually very useful feedback.

Everything in this video is placeholder, and the music itself is from a 'demo' of sounds I created for a non related project, which is also placeholder. I was just trying to get my eye in with this style of video editing.

It's interesting what you say about the reflection effect though as it's still very much 'the thing' among the community I'm in. Maybe we haven't caught up with the mainstream yet!

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    So as some of you know I'm a sound designer and online video/content creator (for an online academy) by trade. I basically program synthesizers and teach people how to use them and make music.

I'm starting a new venture this year with another sound designer pal in the USA, and due to the nature of online presence we have to hit Youtube pretty hard too.

I finished off some synth sounds today and made this little track with them, but I used the audio to create a 'teaser' video for the new company. It's the first time I've done anything like this and I know it's a little rough around the edges, but I'd appreciate any thoughts from 'non industry' types.

The synth sounds I like it - it has this suspense beat that will make you think what will happen next. It builds interest. Just a comment in the vid 0.9 to 0.16 sec of the vid - you may want to enhance or trim that part because it is a bit monotonous. All the rest it is pretty good. Nice one! By the way, does the company have a tagline? You may want to put add it too.

Quote Originally Posted by meltedchic View Post
    The synth sounds I like it - it has this suspense beat that will make you think what will happen next. It builds interest. Just a comment in the vid 0.9 to 0.16 sec of the vid - you may want to enhance or trim that part because it is a bit monotonous. All the rest it is pretty good. Nice one! By the way, does the company have a tagline? You may want to put add it too.
    Thanks again for this feedback.

Just wanted to mention again the audio itself is a temp placeholder and was part of something else I was working on that's now finished. This was really just about the visual concept and presentation of a 'style'.

Hadn't thought of a tagline, but this would only be presented to the the professional composers that work in film/tv so it's probably a good idea to use 'Architect Audio' rather than just 'Architect'.

Thanks again!

Hey Joe,

I've been rocking Davinchi Resolve recently. Their free version offers what Adobe products do and it doesn't seem to be half as intensive on the CPU or graphics card. It's very intuitive.

Other than that, great work mate. I really like the sounds and the video.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Love the synth - sounds very 'cop show' and I love my police procedural shows.

Around 36 seconds in, the images are very dark within the dark symbol and it gets a bit lost definition wise?

Nice job though Joe.

Thread Information