Thread: Asbestos floor tiles

Asbestos floor tiles

Hi, when i moved in my flat there was a few crumbled floor tiles. I didnt think much of it for about 18 months until i decided to get them tested. They come back containing asbestos. I feel like i have now put my kids at risk to develop some serious health issues now. Would these tiles release a lot of fibres in the air? I am going out my mind with worry. Thanks for reading. I dont no how "friable" floor tiles are
    Last edited by Rb93; 21-03-21 at 15:11. Reason: Spelling

Re: Asbestos floor tiles

If they were left undisturbed you will be fine.

I have asbestos tiles under my carpets but they are protected so have been left alone.

I would say you are at absolute minimum risk.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

They was disturbed tho, they was crumbling through the months. But i heard its not friable so does mot release fibres?

Sorry I don't know that much about asbestos. You would need to ask for an expert opinion maybe.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I agree with what nomorepanic said.

To tale a tale, me and my brother have both had exposure to asbestos.

In my case I was working on a house with my uncle and he told me to remove what looked like corrugated iron, but it wasn't iron. More like solid cardboard. Anyway, I smashed them up before putting them into the skip. I got the dust everywhere. My uncle came running out going berserk and I was looking at him like "huh". I was worry free back then. I don't have any problems with my lungs.

My brother on the other hand worked on removing asbestos from underneath schools etc. He'd tell me how the tunnels were so narrow and so long it was scary, and he had to clean pipes with special equipment. He had to be in protective clothing at all times. It was air tight. Today he does present with breathing issues and has done for a while. He refuses to get tested because he knows what it could be, but other than that is healthy and works out. He's an exceptional case because he worked with it directly.

There's nothing you can do to find out if you have been affected. It will present later on in life. Many of todays elderly had lots of exposure to it and are ok, so don't worry over it. Even today people are exposed to it regularly without knowing.

Has it been removed now? Out of interest how much asbestos, and how much was crumbling?

Just to add, it's long term exposure that puts people at risk. These would be people working with it for long periods of time. Like my brother. Or builders etc.
    Last edited by WiredIncorrectly; 11-04-21 at 23:31.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

It’s long term high levels of exposure that cause the greatest risk and even then nothing bad is guaranteed to happen. If you were exposed to any (and you may not have been exposed to any at all depending on the make of the tiles) it would have only been a tiny amount for a short time. I would say you and your family aren’t in danger from this.

Thread Information