Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you walk the Pacific Crest Trail?

Re: Would you walk the Pacific Crest Trail?

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    That's a beautiful trail too and seems to cut out a lot of the danger spots that you'd find on the PCT. I'd be up for that first.

Ok that's 1. Who else?
    I've hiked many miles of the AT from NY to GA and camped along the way since my teens. In fact, it was hiking the AT in the Shenandoah National Park that brought me to VA.

During Spring break in my senior year in HS, 3 of my buddies and I planned a hike and decided on the Shenandoah. The plan was to start at Big Meadows and hike North 10+ miles to one of the 4 Admiral Byrd shelters, pitch camp and spend the next several days exploring the area. We drove the 50+ miles to Big Meadows and by the time we got there it was dark (we had stopped at almost every overlook along the way ) We slept in the car at the wayside, got up at dawn and hit the trail behind the lodge. About 100 yards or so North was a side trail that led to an overlook called Black Rock. Picture this.... Mid May, not a cloud in the sky as we walked to the overlook. The sun was just peaking over thr ridge and there was the Shenandoah Valley in this golden yellow/orange glow. That was it. I fell in love with this place.

All these years later, it still has the same mystique and spiritual draw it had when I first saw it. Now, we live literally 1.5 miles from the entrance to Skyline Drive and I've performed in the Park at the two resorts for the last ten years (sans last year and so far this year due to COVID).

I'm afraid though, at my age and physical condition, hiking the entire trail (Maine to Georgia) is out of the question but I still enjoy and can do day hikes and overnight trips.

FMP
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 30-03-21 at 19:18.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Re: Would you walk the Pacific Crest Trail?

It must be beautiful to live so close. These are the sort of views I'd love to see in person just once. Do you ever go out into the open with your guitar? That would bliss.

Thank you for sharing that Fishmanpa.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information