Thread: Pressure in rectum, pain in buttocks

Pressure in rectum, pain in buttocks

I've had IBS for many years, diagnosed as anxiety aggravated IBS.
    Every year my body produces new symptoms (just to keep the anxiety going....)
    I now have pressure in my rectum and dull pain in buttocks and pelvic area.
    It started with anxiety and diarrhea together with normal stomach cramps but seems to have moved to that area and is causing me a lot of anxiety.
    Is pelvic or anal pressure/pain a normal symptom of IBS? I also feel like I need to pass a bowel movement most of the time.
    I slept fine and it only reappeared some time this morning just as my normal IBS symptoms happen.

Re: Pressure in rectum, pain in buttocks

Well nobody replied but in case anyone has this problem in the future I will leave this here.
    Since my IBS is anxiety related I can only guess that it's anxiety that triggered it and that the muscles in that area became very tense which is the pressure and pain I felt. These symptoms in turn caused more anxiety which then caused more muscle spasms and so it went on. I eventually took some co-codamol which made me sleepy and while I slept my muscles must have relaxed. I woke up this morning (3rd day) with no pain or pressure so that's what cured it!
    And that's after 2 days of worrying and imagining hospital and procedures and worse.....

I had this for 4 months solid once. It's the levator ani muscles going into spasm.

I wonder if this is what I have at the moment? There's a pressure in my rectum, it feels like I need a poo but there's nothing there and it's worse if I think about it. Because I'm so stressed with my bowels at the moment, I wonder if that's caused it? There's times where my mind goes completely off of it and the feeling goes, but as soon as I think about it again it's back. I don't know, but it's so stressful. It can also cause pain in my buttocks or down my legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Simonsays64 View Post
    I wonder if this is what I have at the moment? There's a pressure in my rectum, it feels like I need a poo but there's nothing there and it's worse if I think about it. Because I'm so stressed with my bowels at the moment, I wonder if that's caused it? There's times where my mind goes completely off of it and the feeling goes, but as soon as I think about it again it's back. I don't know, but it's so stressful. It can also cause pain in my buttocks or down my legs.
    It sounds the same yes.
    The more I stressed about it the worse it got.
    Just like you, it started with a feeling of pressure as though I needed a bowel movement but as I got more anxious about the symptom it became pain radiating through my buttocks and pelvic area and even down my legs. Distraction helps but eventually
    I took medication and I relaxed, had a good sleep and it went away.
    But even a week later if I focus on that area the symptoms return but very mildly.
    So, yes, I'd say this is anxiety related, for me, anyway.
    Try a warm bath and some relaxation techniques, whatever usually works for you.

A bath always gets rid of it. Especially if I make the water super hot! It comes back though as soon as I get out. As I say my anxiety is so bad at the moment regarding my stomach, so god knows what problems it causes. The main symptom my Dr was worried about is how I sometimes go to the toilet and Pass clear mucus, but I don't know if that's from me straining a lot of whatever. So stressful.

Thread Information