Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this normal?

Is this normal?

Hello, I have really bad breast cancer health anxiety and have been on sertraline since Jan
    Have been feeling a lot better but 2 weeks ago doing breast exam (I'm down to twice a week instead of several times a day!!) I decided to squeeze my nipples... Right one fine, left one tiny drop of yellow fluid - panic sets in of course!! Did it again an hour later - same again tiny drop of yellowish fluid!
    Called gp for reassurance and got call from a lady gp who made me feel really silly and irrational told me to stop squeezing.
    I tried my best and didn't squeeze for a good few days I gave in and squeezed and after a lot of squeezing some fluid came out.
    I'm angry and annoyed with myself for doing this and also for panicking as deep down I'm sure it's all OK
    After all that my question is does anyone else get this when squeezing? I just wanted the gp to tell me it was totally normal and not to worry but she made me feel like I was a nuisance and a bit daft to be honest 😢
    Would appreciate any replies to this thanks xx
    Ps I'm 44

Re: Is this normal?

Yes, it can happen......

This discharge of fluid from a normal breast is referred to as 'physiological discharge'. This discharge is usually yellow, milky, or green in appearance, it does not happen spontaneously, and it can often be seen to be coming from more than one duct. Physiological nipple discharge is no cause for concern.
    You squeezed hard, a LOT, i.e. not spontaneous, and it happened. Its that simple. I don't know if it happens to me, as I have no intention of squeezing like that, but I'd certainly not be surprised if it did.

I just wanted the gp to tell me it was totally normal and not to worry but she made me feel like I was a nuisance and a bit daft to be honest ��
    Well, you know what, if the GP made you feel like you were being daft and a nuisance, then you can presume that it is indeed normal.
    Last edited by Carys; 27-03-21 at 13:53.

Thank you for replying Carys 😊 sometimes all it takes is someone to rationalise things for you a bit!
    I'm so disappointed in myself for letting it worry me so much!! I hate this health anxiety it's a horrible thing to have x

You are welcome Honestly, don't do it again, a worrying discharge wouldn't take a massive squeeze to get it out.

Yes I'm determined to leave it alone lol anytime I feel the urge I'm definitely going to distract myself 👍

Excellent, remember all those ducts that lead to the end of the nipple, they do have liquid in them - and you are manually forcing it out. End of on this one Debsi

Incidentally, the checking you are doing, being twice weekly ? - that is actually quite 'dangerous'. A breast surgeon told me that women checking more often than every month or 6 weeks are less likely to notice any changes from the norm. So, you are doing yourself a disservice by regularly checking away and leave yourself open to not knowing of any changes. If you live with someone and they slowly and gradually lose weight, you don't notice yourself, but if you'd not seen someone for 2 months its would be really obvious the moment you saw them. This is kind of the same, bc changes can become gradually 'normal' the more you check for them, there is such a weeny change that this then becomes your new unoticeable normal.
    Last edited by Carys; 27-03-21 at 14:14.

Oh I know Im a nightmare I check far too often I need to do what I'm told and check once a month but every now and then I get that panic feeling 'what if I'm not checking enough and I miss something?'
    The sertraline is definitely keeping me a but calmer I need to toughen up and stop checking so much!
    Thank you for all your advice 😊

'what if I'm not checking enough and I miss something?'
    Yes, I know that feeling, but the opposite is true - checking too much you miss something. Surely knowing that that should stop it happening ?

It's a difficult one I've been like this for years and I'm fed up being this way I wish I could just check once a month, put it to the back of my mind and get on with life!
    I've wasted so much time and ruined so many experiences by spending days and weeks on end worrying irrationally about a lump etc 😢

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information