Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightheaded- sertraline withdrawal..... or worse

Lightheaded- sertraline withdrawal..... or worse

Hi dear fellow sufferers,
    Today I am struggling with feelings of lightheadedness, a bit of nausea, and a feeling of “not quite there-ness”.... if that makes sense? I am worrying about a brain tumour of course (!!).... but also wonder if it might have something to do with the fact that I have been trying to come off sertraline (I just thought I would try!) a and it has been 3 days since my last dose. I am trying to be rational.....Thank you for reading this- just writing it down helps. Xxx

Re: Lightheaded- sertraline withdrawal..... or worse

Did you just stop it?

Sounds like withdrawal to me

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Well..... I cut down over a few weeks .... taking it maybe every other day.... but I’ve never gone more than three days without until now... But I do feel very all over the place today. Anxious, zoned out, off balance..... and worried about what might be wrong with me! Maybe I shouldn’t have come off like this, but I’ve been on it for nearly a decade now and I thought if not now, then when?
    thank you so much for replying to me Nicola xxx

I think it needed to be done much more slowly to be honest.

You may need to go back on it and start reducing very very slowly or ride-out the side-effects of withdrawal

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    I think it needed to be done much more slowly to be honest.

You may need to go back on it and start reducing very very slowly or ride-out the side-effects of withdrawal
    So...... I think I might be ok if I knew they were side effects..... but me being me..... and my anxiety beast being what it is..::: I find myself worrying about brain tumours...... which can escalate my anxiety to unbearable levels. It’s a catch 22. Are you on medication Nicole?

No it's not a brain tumour.

I am not on any medication for anxiety. I took Prozac once when I was in my late 20's but it didn't do much for me so stopped it after a year.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo2316 View Post
    I do feel very all over the place today. Anxious, zoned out, off balance..... and worried about what might be wrong with me!
    These are typical symptoms of withdrawal, not of a brain tumour.

Maybe I shouldn’t have come off like this, but I’ve been on it for nearly a decade now and I thought if not now, then when?
    What dose were you on when you decided to quit and how did you taper off? Also was sertraline working well for you before quitting, i.e. were you mostly anxiety free?

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    These are typical symptoms of withdrawal, not of a brain tumour.

What dose were you on when you decided to quit and how did you taper off? Also was sertraline working well for you before quitting, i.e. were you mostly anxiety free?
    Thank you so much for your reply. I was on 100mg and had been for nearly a decade. It most certainly helped - although I cannot say I was anxiety free..... but I found it a little easier to cope. I have been missing doses recently and then doing so more often and - I think - in this case I took my last dose 4 days ago. But I don’t feel great! Apart from the worrying “brain tumour” symptoms I feel low and unmotivated and like I can’t summon the energy to do anything. I’ve tried to come off my meds before and sadly I never managed - I always seem to regress too much. And since I have a large family of small humans and animals to care for I need to be able to function. I shall drag myself out of bed now, and maybe take my dose of sertraline! :-(
    Thank you so much again for replying. This site has always been a lifeline in my darkest times xxx

Quote Originally Posted by jojo2316 View Post
    Thank you so much for your reply. I was on 100mg and had been for nearly a decade. It most certainly helped - although I cannot say I was anxiety free..... but I found it a little easier to cope.
    100mg is the low end of the typical dose range. You might have done better at 150mg.

I have been missing doses recently and then doing so more often and - I think - in this case I took my last dose 4 days ago.
    Missing doses often can increase the odds of ADs pooping-out. It is also not the ideal way of quitting. A long slow gradual taper over a couple of months would have made life easier.

But I don’t feel great! Apart from the worrying “brain tumour” symptoms I feel low and unmotivated and like I can’t summon the energy to do anything.
    Your brain is trying to restabilize and rebound depression is common with rapid discontinuation. Plus the brain is not the only organ effected by ADs. They too need time to adjust.

I shall drag myself out of bed now, and maybe take my dose of sertraline! :-(
    Just taking one is not going to fix this. Your best option is to go back onto sertraline and once stabilized begin a slow taper off, or stay off it and ride through the withdrawal effects. Either way I urge you to see your GP asap. He/she will be able to help ease the process whichever option you choose to take. There is no need to suffer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information