Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lightheaded- sertraline withdrawal..... or worse

Re: Lightheaded- sertraline withdrawal..... or worse

Hi 🙂 I’ve also just come off sertraline, though only 50mg for 6 months to help me through a rough time with some medical stuff. I thought I’d gotten off lightly after tapering 25mg every day for two weeks before stopping about a week ago but the last few days I’ve had a constant low-level sicky-headache, a bit tired and spaced out and also what must be the ‘brain zaps’ I’ve read about which to me feel like a light-headed without the dizziness, buzzy, tickly feeling when I move my head. It’s a bit disconcerting and like you I was also worrying about brain tumours before reading more about sertraline withdrawal and now just hoping that it won’t last too long. What you’re describing sounds like textbook withdrawal and if you can ride it out then hopefully it won’t last too long, especially if your main worry is about it being a brain tumour (which it isn’t and wouldn’t that be way too coincidental at the exact same time you’re coming off sertraline!) but maybe what panic_down_under suggested might be better, or speak to your GP because taking a random dose at this point to quell the symptoms might not help unless you just go back on them altogether. Personally I’m thinking if these brain zaps carry on for more than a week I’ll go to the doctor and ask what to expect because it’s definitely not a feeling I’d want to put up with indefinitely but also don’t want to go back on the sertraline if I can help it 😖
    Last edited by liorakiora; 05-04-21 at 23:34.

Re: Lightheaded- sertraline withdrawal..... or worse

Quote Originally Posted by liorakiora View Post
    Hi  I’ve also just come off sertraline, though only 50mg for 6 months to help me through a rough time with some medical stuff. I thought I’d gotten off lightly after tapering 25mg every day for two weeks before stopping about a week ago but the last few days I’ve had a constant low-level sicky-headache, a bit tired and spaced out and also what must be the ‘brain zaps’ I’ve read about which to me feel like a light-headed without the dizziness, buzzy, tickly feeling when I move my head. It’s a bit disconcerting and like you I was also worrying about brain tumours before reading more about sertraline withdrawal and now just hoping that it won’t last too long. What you’re describing sounds like textbook withdrawal and if you can ride it out then hopefully it won’t last too long, especially if your main worry is about it being a brain tumour (which it isn’t and wouldn’t that be way too coincidental at the exact same time you’re coming off sertraline!) but maybe what panic_down_under suggested might be better, or speak to your GP because taking a random dose at this point to quell the symptoms might not help unless you just go back on them altogether. Personally I’m thinking if these brain zaps carry on for more than a week I’ll go to the doctor and ask what to expect because it’s definitely not a feeling I’d want to put up with indefinitely but also don’t want to go back on the sertraline if I can help it 
    Brain zaps are quite a thing aren’t they? I remember the first time I had one, a few years ago, and I thought I was having a stroke or something.... it was a terrifying feeling.
    I am still taking my sertraline..... but trying to taper; just a bit more slowly this time! ;-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information