Thread: Normal tissue or something wrong?

Normal tissue or something wrong?

Heya, I feel a lump in my right breast on the upper part which has me gotten worried again. I have been worried and thinking about breast cancer due this lump exactly 1 year and 2 months ago too. The size and shape is still the same. I'm not sure what this is, my normal brains would say that if this was cancer, the lump or whatever I feel would definitely gotten bigger in a year! But those normal brains quickly gets pushed away and puts me back to thinking it's probably cancer.. this could also just be normal breast tissue ? I have to use 2 fingertips to touch it and when I press on it it's slightly moveable, jumps away from my fingers? I also think I maybe feel something like this on my other breast too but that one is harder to find (maybe because my left breast has more fat..) I can't stop thinking about it, first I was worried about a indent, now this again.. so my question is really, if this what I feel was cancer, wouldn't it be obvious by now? 1 year and 2 months..? Or could cancer stay the same size for a while and then boom!!!

I hope someone can help, it's seriously the only thing I can think off ! Whenever I try to do something fun, the " oh no I might have cancer because I feel this thing " thought pops up, straight away!

Re: Normal tissue or something wrong?

so my question is really, if this what I feel was cancer, wouldn't it be obvious by now? 1 year and 2 months..? Or could cancer stay the same size for a while and then boom!!!
    BC continues growing, the only time it stops and starts growing again is when treated with chemo, radiotherapy or hormone therapy - and they don't work or are partially effective. There are various types of BC and they grow at different rates depending on type and grade, your 'risk' factors, hormone status and a variety of other personal health/lifestyle variants also affect the speed of growth- BUT none of them stays static at all,ever, and all continue adding malignant cells at different rates. Even if that was the slowest growing, least aggressive grade 1 BC that you are feeling, then it would be noticeably bigger in over a years time, potentially double the size or possibly even larger. The size and shape is still the same of whatever your tissue is, therefore it is certainly not BC. I would also suggest that you look up how to perform manual breast exams effectively, a quick google will bring up links on it from places like Breast Cancer Now. Pushing in with your finger tips is not how its done There are a huge number of benign reasons for lumps and bumps in the breast tissue, e.g. a cyst , enlarged gland, fatty tissue damage (necrosis) amongst many many others. It won't be enough for you to 'cure' your feelings about this that I have simply reassured you, you need to work on repeating the things I've said over and over to yourself when negative thoughts creep in.
    Last edited by Carys; 27-03-21 at 18:03.

Thank you Carys! Trying to let this feeling go is hard though. I also know that I'm not supposed to do a breast exam with my finger tips but when I do it how it's supposed to, I don't feel weird things . Ofc there's some bumps and lumps I feel but that is normal I think. But then my mind says, yeah but what if I missed something.. then I start pushing harder and with my finger tips. But , it's there for a year at least, time to try and let that go.. not sure if it's possible to damage tissue inside the breast by digging but mine do hurt the last few days because of it..

I also know that I'm not supposed to do a breast exam with my finger tips but when I do it how it's supposed to, I don't feel weird things .
    Exactly !!!! There you have the reason why people need to do it in a certain way as it stops you feeling normal things incorrectly, and viewing them as weird.

Maybe it's best if I try and not do any exams at all.. but that's not right either is it? Carys, is digging and poking harmful for a breast? Could that actually cause any damage or anything? Thank you for replying to me by the way! I often feel very stupid and totally alone in this..

Carys, is digging and poking harmful for a breast? Could that actually cause any damage or anything?
    Well, look, just a disclaimer here - I'm not a medic :.........Poking and digging can't cause cancer, but it can certainly cause soft tissue damage and various nerve pains or aches. The same applies to breast tissue as it would to say squeezing a lymph node continuously/obsessively and causing it to be permanently enlarged. Its just not good in general, for any part of your body to be pressing digging and checking non-stop, the same applies here. You shouldn't avoid doing them, but just do once a month and do based on the guidelines for doing self-examinations....

https://www.breastcancer.org/symptom...ypes/self_exam

Thank your Carys, I have read the link you posted and will try and do it how it's explained, when I'm less sore.. and I will try (again...) To calm down and get negative thoughts out of my head. Big virtual hug to you!

I am guilty of using finger tips and this time I have found a small (smaller than a pea) firm lump under my areola next to my nipple. When felt with finger pads I cannot feel it but I pushed down and felt it. Went to GP who felt it once I showed and now has had to refer me because yes it is there but not obvious when doing a usual exam. I have breast clinic on Thursday and wish I had not prodded. Mine is around 0.5cm and so hopeful even if nasty it is treatable.

Thread Information